Carnival Pride Cruise Review by glorialagos

Carnival Pride
Member Name: glorialagos
Cruise Date: June 2010
Embarkation: Baltimore
See More About: Carnival Pride Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
        16+ 5.0

Carnival should be Proud of Pride!
Chose this cruise because of price, dates that worked, departure port and itinerary.

Embarking - simple. Flew in the day before and stayed at Hyatt. Their shuttle has increased to $10 per person to the port and since there were 6 of us it was much less to take a taxi ($25 plus tip). We left the hotel at 12:00, were on the ship by 1:30, cabins ready by 3 - lines but managed very efficiently. Supposed to sail at 4:30 but left at least an hour later but who really cares at that point?

The ship was nice and easy to find your way around. My only complaint would be that there seemed to be an unusually high amount of smokers? We could avoid it almost everywhere except the casinos! Yuk. We had an inside cabin and it seemed roomy for an inside. The beds were the most comfortable I have ever experienced! I am not a napper and I could easily nap in those beds! Cabin steward was very good, very friendly.

Food - wonderful. We ate at the buffet every day for breakfast and lunch, main dining room for dinner. We did any time dining and I would not recommend that unless you want to go at 5:45 every night. We tried 6:30 and 6:45 and had an hour wait - there were just no tables empty. I would sign up for a specific time in the future since we went at the same time every night anyway. Two formal nights - Monday and Friday, lobster on Monday. At the buffets - all the stations were good - asian very good, pizza and ice cream 24 hours. Warm chocolate melting cake - great.

Entertainment - saw 3 shows (did not care for the jazz show), no ventriloquist, lots of comedians - pretty good. Kirk annoyed us somewhat with his constant fake laughter but he did a good job. Mostly spent our time at karaoke and Jay is the man (kind of!! if you know what I mean). He was the best part of karaoke - very entertaining, very good at his job, or should I say "absolutely brilliant"!!!

Casino - as I mentioned before, very smoky. Read somewhere that slots paid out more at the beginning of the cruise and that did seem to be the case - saw some big winners early and not much after the first couple of days. Penny slots were fun and not too painful.

Ports - the first two, Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay, were just like being on the ship but on land! There were no other ships in these ports so it was the same people as on the ship. I really enjoyed Grand Turk - took a right off the pier and walked forever on a deserted beach with no other people in sight. (I went left first, walked to Jack's Shack and then ran out of beach). There were conch shells everywhere - hundreds!! Saw lots of birds, lots of shells, not much else. Margaritaville was neat - our teens loved it - very spring breakish, mtvish! Plenty of chairs, plenty of shade - nice stop but not long enough - had to be back by 1:30. Next was Half Moon Cay - definitely same as being on the ship - even food and drink but very nice - lots to do, blow up things to play on in the water - barbeque was great. Spent more time here - very, very hot. Tendered but that went efficiently also. Last port was Freeport. Biggest complaint here would be time - arrived at 7 am which is much too early for anything to be open. Took a taxi/shuttle to Port Lucaya but nothing was open that early. We swam and explored the beautiful beach and were pretty much alone so that was nice. By the time things started opening, we were running short on time - again had to be back to the ship by 1:30 and it was a 25 minute drive so not much time to enjoy the beach. Shopping at the straw market was nice but again very, very hot. I found the bahamian people to be very nice and friendly and not pushy at all, just trying to make a sale. I liked this port, just would have liked more time there to do more on the beach. Contrary to what it says on the internet site, Junkanoo did not provide free transportation from the port and we never did find it once we got to the beach.

Excursions - only did the horseback riding and it was worth the price. Book early (before arriving on the ship) if you want to do this. All trips were booked by the first day on board and the only way we got to go was due to a cancellation. They did not weigh anyone and there were obviously people that made the horse's lives a little difficult! There also was not dress policy - anything goes so don't worry if you don't have long pants or closed toe shoes.

Debarking - again was well managed. Let them take our bags, self assist would have been an hour or so earlier but we had a long wait in the airport so were in no hurry.

That's it. I would do this exact same cruise again. Everything was very good. Oh, we had 2 17 year old girls with us - tried Club 02 and there just weren't other teens there for them or they would have continued going. On our past cruise, the teens spent all their time at 02 so it just depends on fellow passengers.

Publication Date: 06/18/10