Thomson Dream Cruise Review by Dacia Kelly: First time lucky!

Dacia Kelly
0 Post

Cabin Not Rated

First time lucky!

Sail Date: June 2010
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

Maybe only dissatisfied people put reviews on here so I thought I'd try to balance things a bit. My husband and I are just back from the 7 day Western Med cruise which sailed from Palma on 1st June (our first cruise). I did read some reviews before we left home and was very worried but I can honestly say the only thing that caused us any problem was opening and shutting the safe in our cabin. The ship was very big and impressive - after a week I still couldn't find my way around! Our cabin was lovely, bigger than expected, we upgraded to an outside cabin on deck 7 with picture window. Bed was very comfy, slept great.

4 restaurants, we opted for the Orion for dinner each evening, waiter service as opposed to self service in 2 of the others - I was on holiday so wanted to be waited on! The food was super, very varied 6 course menu, different every night.

2 pools, lots of sunbeds, no problem getting one even when arriving back from a shore trip. Entertainment - plenty More of it, different things each night - shows, quizzes, music - good band in the Medusa Ballroom.

Crew mostly Filipino, very friendly, cheerful and obliging.

We did 2 of the organised shore trips - Florence and Barcelona, both stunning places. In Villefranche and Ajaccio (Corsica) we just went ashore and wandered round the pretty little ports which they both were, sitting in outside cafe/bars, very relaxing.

We were aware of people having problems with plumbing, water, loss of power but I think these were isolated and didn't affect us at all. I know that the ship is going in for a major refit in October and we have every intention of booking for a future cruise to see what improvements have been made to what we thought was an already great ship! Less

Read more Thomson Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Thomson Dream Review >>

Well worth the 1 and 1/2 hour coach trip from Palamos (some ships actually dock at Barcelona). Visited the Nu Camp - husband enjoyed that! Then into the centre and just walked down Las Ramblas - fantastic street entertainment all the way down. Found a great pavement cafe/bar and sat drinking sangria, eating pizza and watching the world go by. That's what a holiday is all about! Must go again.

Similar to Villefranche in that it is a pretty harbour town with marina. Beach was rated highly but we thought it was OK but the steps we used to go down to it stank very badly of urine - obviously used as a toilet! Saw the house Napoleon was born in so a bit of history. Again, lots of little shops and stalls for souvenirs etc, and nice pavement cafe/bars for coffee/wine/beer. Then it was nice to go back on board for lunch and lie on deck watching the scenery.

Stunning architecture and art. We climbed to the top of the Dome of the Cathedral - 400+ steps each way but worth the climb as the views were stunning. So much to see in Florence, so many churches - Santa Croce also well worth a visit.All contain magnificent artwork by many famous artists. The atmosphere just walking in the streets and around the piazzas was great. Definitely worth a second visit one day.

Pretty port, marina, beach looked nice. Wandered around the streets and alleys, lots of shops and atalls, lots of harbourside pavement cafe/bars, bit pricey so after a glass of wine (well, it's a must on the French Riviera isn't it?)we went back on board for lunch then on deck to lie by the pool and look at the gorgeous scenery all around.