Carnival Dream Cruise Review by kona_wahine: First time cruisers - the Dream

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Eastern Caribbean Cruises

First time cruisers - the Dream

Sail Date: May 2010
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

This was our first cruise so you are getting a review from a first hand look.

We flew in the day before and stayed at the Sleep Inn in Orlando. Nice, clean and Lauras Shuttle is on site. We weren't supposed to catch the shuttle until afternoon but they said they had a full van and would be leaving about 10:30. That was great with us. We got to port, unloaded our luggage right there (the shuttle made it SOOO nice!) and got in line with our tickets & passport. Went thru security, then upstairs, which probably took a total of 45 from time we arrived at port to when we stepped on the ship. It was very easy, no hassle.

We stepped on the ship and was a bit overwhelmed, not having any idea of what to do or where to go. We stopped at the pursours desk and got our S/S card punched and put on lanyards. OK, some people hate them but I have to say the lanyards totally rocked! I'm a bit OCD, so I always knew where my card was - no worries! Only time I didn't wear it was More formal nights (in my purse) or on the islands (didn't want to flash "tourist") I got a nice bead lanyard so not to stand out too much. :)

Made it to the lido deck, grabbed our first DOD, and took a seat. Had one small suitcase, and with all the people, we just sat up on deck. I went down and got us some lunch at the bbq place. Good hamburgers & hotdogs with fries.

So, here are my observations for the ship smell: yeah, very slight though and just once in a while. Kind of weird how all of a sudden you smell it. Definitely not a big deal though.

adult serenity deck: We looked at it the first day and everytime we went back it was packed. Never got to use it. Maybe they should have tripled it in size. Those 1/2 moon chairs were pretty cool. I'm betting the people who had them got up early and staked their claim.

Food: did the steakhouse the first night for our anniversary. Nice, had the surf & turf, but not sure I'd do it again for $30. The regular restaurants are so good. The highlight was the massive piece of cheese cake at the end that was probably the best I've every had. Yummy!!! The regulary restaurants were good, always something you'd like. Breakfast was usually buffet, and it was ok. Just ok. Had breakfast in dining room one day, and it was ok, but it was a bit of a hassle. Just easier to grab something at the buffet, and food about the same. Tried the burrito bar, indian food (did not like!) buffet, pizza, hamburgers/hotdogs, and everything was very good. It was nice getting pizza at night when you wanted something to snack on. Room service was awesome! Very quick, which was a pleasant surprise. When we were on St Maarten we had a boat trip, and when back to the ship to clean up before venturing out again. Called roomservice why we showered and it was there in no time. Saved some $ on food! The desserts were very good. I swore I'd have ice cream every day, but I think I had it twice. There was just so many other wonderful things to eat. And I only had the warm melting cake once. I just wanted to try everything. And the best thing is I came home with only 2 extra pounds!

Drinks: priced about the same as home. We did buy a couple bottles from bonvoyage and took some soda on with us. Saved some $. Soda card: my hubby is a big soda drinker so he bought one. total waste! He hardly used it, choosing to buy beer. :) Wouldn't do that again, just buying a few as we go. I choose water most the time. The water on the ship was ok. Not great like some people have reported. If you got it really cold there wasn't much of a taste. But it wasn't so horrible I couldn't drink it. I took a bottle with me and filled it at the gathering place with ice & water. I never did try the lemonaid.

Room: We had a inside on the first floor. It was quiet, not very big, but those kids cleaning the room are awesome! We took a small cooler and didn't even have to ask for ice. It was kept full the entire trip. They come in 2X a day and clean up, fresh towels, ice, anything you need. They work their butts off! I left an extra $20, because I think they earned it.

Loved the comedy club. Very nice addition. Bingo sucked! What a rip off. Played a couple times. Once they did 5 games. Twice just 1 game, but a big prize. Odds are terrible and the ship makes $20 off of each person! Never again! The casino is kind of small, but fun. I won $160 on a quarter machine the first night and hit the same machine for $60 later. That was the only machine I did ok on. My husband one on roulette and came away ahead. Over all we lost about $75, so not that bad. Dancin in the Streets was a wonderful show. Saw a hypnotist, ok, nothing spectacular, and also a magician. Entertaining.

I didn't know what to expect on the cruise, but its basically like being on a big floating hotels. We usually took the stairs, because it was just easier. They are large and open. I think I had in my mind they would be dark and narrow. Biggest problem I had was I was turned-around the whole time and didn't know which way was which. I'm usually pretty good with directions but not on the ship! My hubby thought that was pretty funny.

I really liked where our cabin was, and went straight up to get to the aft pool. Spoke with another couple that were directly under the pool and they said they heard them moving the chairs all night long. I think deck 1 is a great place to have a room, as it was super quiet. That extra flight of stairs was absolutely no big deal. Inside cabin was not a big deal, but I could see having a balcony would be nice.

The downside for me are the amount of people. Getting a chair by the pool means you are right up against someone else. After the cruise we had a condo in Orlando and I went to the pool and was able to sit way away from everyone. I have to say the closeness of everyone on the ship was probably the biggest problem I had with the cruise.

I'm sure I'm missing a ton of stuff but I think this gives a really good view from a first timer. :) Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Interior Riviera 1425

It was ok, very quiet. Very clean. We knew it wouldn't be big, so weren't expecting much. Pretty much what we expected.

We did the Blue Water Catamaran booked thru Carnival. They took us on a semi-crowded boat to a pretty good snorkeling spot. Made us wear life vests, which kind of sucked, but oh well. Then about an hour at one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever been to. It was the softest white sand, blue clear water I've ever seen. It was amazing. Had atomic rum punch on the way back and they were not kidding! 2 glassess kicked my butt!

We did have about an hour before so walked into town. Didn't like all the vendors bugging us, but what you gonna do? Went to the tent/flea market and bought a knock off purse and some T-shirts.

I have it a "3" because the town wasn't that great, but I loved the beach!

Read 2646 Nassau Reviews

The 5+ star rating is for Captain Andy's Sailing Adventure! Andy & Colleen were the highlight of the trip. They took us up and around the island and we snorkeled at 2 different areas, and stopped at 2 different beaches. Besides them, there were only 10 on the boat. I rode up front with the legs hanging over. It was a blast! Also did the mud bath, which you have to do. You skin is so soft afterwards. Very fun! Everyone enjoyed theirselves. They arranged transportation for us and the van driver was there waiting for us when we got to port and when we got back from the snorkel trip. All in all it was a perfect day!

Got back to the ship and cleaned up and then ventured out for a bit of shopping.

did Godfrey's tour. Wasn't impressed by him. Had someone waiting for us but took probably close to an hour before he showed up to pick us up. Seemed totally unorganized. Dropped us off shopping. Note: if they give you a sticker to wear, put it on. This stops all the other tour operators from bugging the heck out of you!!! Shopping in St. T is not that great. We bought some T-shirts at the flea market downtown, but the stores were mostly jewelry or alcohol. We did buy a couple bottles of alcohol and they delivered them to the ship which was nice. Then Godfrey took us for a tour of the island. Godfrey seems like a very nice man, and very informative, but a bit boring. all he wanted to talk about was the hurricanes. Seriously, he talked about every single hurricane. I understand how devestating it all is, but I'm on vacation and trying to have a good time. Don't bring me down! Stopped and had one of the banana daquiris, which was very good. Made a few stops and had some great views for pictures. Then he dropped us off at Maagens Bay for a couple hours. We rented a chair and relaxed with a VERY good drink! (they don't make them like that on the ship!) Then he picked us up and dropped us back at the ship. We cleaned up and went back out to shop a bit.

Read 2333 St. Thomas Reviews