Carnival Valor 5

“Valor Victory - What a way to start the summer”
Cruise review of Carnival Valor

13cruise13
Member Since 2010
71 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

We booked the Valor to go somewhere different and start off the summer vacation for our kids. We were TBA until two days before sailing - we were on floor two, the main floor, and had rooms next door to each other. The rooms were sooooo convenient to the stairs and elevator; yet quiet most of the time. Of course inside rooms are not as roomy but we were never in our rooms. Getting on the boat was a little hectic and hot. Somehow that process should be easier. We enjoyed a late lunch upon getting on.

We booked our own excursions and had no problems whatsoever. And saved big bucks. We swam with the stingrays in Grand Caymon, took a tour of Roatan that included the Iquana farm, and cave tubed in Belize with a local lunch. We loved all the excursions and our guides. Cozumel to us is too commercial so we stayed on the boat and enjoyed using all the amenties with NO people.

Our dining room experiences were fantastic - if ever anything at all was mildly wrong they would More fix it immediately - but for the most part we never had a complaint and enjoyed way too much good new wonderful delicacies. I didn't use the buffets as much but my kids enjoyed the ice-cream, and grill alot. The pizza stand left a little to be desired. Seemed like pizza was never ready and then tasted so so - but with so much other food so readily available I didn't care. Alot of people complain about the lines in the buffet but really if you chose your times wisely you could walk right up to all sorts of available food.

Our room steward always filled our ice, made our beds, left towel animals, what more could someone want?

One morning they vacummed at 8 - I wasn't happy about that - in the hall way -

Oh yeah - they make a big point of saying book with Carnival - for excursions - we were on the same tender with the carnival excursion people, and never saw any differences at all.

Kids clubs were awesome - my four kids enjoyed both their clubs and met new people.

Casino was fun. Shows were pretty good. We didn't do any of the "games". We enjoyed the exercise facilities. Also we liked the putt putt but never understood why they closed that at 5.

We tried to get open seating but got early - I enjoyed the time, but husband would have preferred later. I thought it worked better for us as a family.

Anyway - We all had a great time - just really needed a rest when we got home. Just because we burned the midnight oil and then got up early to enjoy the days.

Oh yeah - last day - obnoxious way to wake people up - then we were the last called - and food had been "shut off" for hours - again seems like there has to be a better way - I understand that is a lot of people to get off boat, and I didn't mind waiting for those with flights, connections, etc., but really after 9|:30 NOTHING is available on board and you are waiting waiting waiting. We didn't get called until after 11 - followed by more waiting, and hot lines.

Still loved the ship, the weather, the ports, the people we met. Cruise critic was awesome for finding out all sorts of info. Less

Carnival Valor Cruises to the Western Caribbean

Overall Ratings

Sail Date: May 2010
Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review:

Inside main floor cabins - we loved them - we were never in our room for more than a five hour rest - they were convenient to stairs and elevator -

This is the one we caught the first tender with Carnival Cruise excursion people. We were met my our excursion people - Belize Island Excursions and our guide was Nickolai - he was funny and informative - you drive for awhile and stop and get snacks - and then you hike a bit but stop a lot and get local info, then actually go cave tubing - my kids loved it - we had head lamps etc, the caves were beautiful - and they timed them out good so a lot of people were not there at the same time. After wards we were met my locals who had prepared our lunch - rice and beans, spiced chicken, some slaw - delicious and some punch - of course I was worried about the water - what the punch was made with etc. But had a blast - then traveled back to boat - most slept on the way back for an awesome excursion.

We booked with Grand Cayman Island Excursions. We got on a bus that took us to a boat that took us out to sting ray island - when we got there it was too crowded so we went snorkling first - our guide found an eel and coaxed him out, and pointed out various other things. We had a blast snorkling and admiring the reef and sealife. Then we went to the sandbar. Oh my - that was so cool - stingrays coming and brushing up against you. We got to feed them and of course, got pictures with them. Then headed back to shore on a nice boat ride back. Water and punch provided. We brought our on snacks.

Published 06/10/10

Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Valor Review

Carnival Valor Cruises to the Western Caribbean

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?