Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by 1_to_travel_on

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by 1_to_travel_on
Majesty of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
Member Name: 1_to_travel_on
Cruise Date: June 2010
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: SO

This cruise is a mixed bag
Embarkation was a breeze. We arrived at 1:15 and barely had to wait in line. We went straight to our room which was ready at 1:00. Luggage was delivered by 3:00, maybe earlier, we were off looking around the ship.

Room - I booked Superior Ocean View specifically because of the larger size. The room was just fine for the two of us. My husband is a big guy and I'm slightly over average. We had enough storage/hangers to put all our stuff up. The bathroom is okay, a bit tight, but it works. Generic shampoo/body soap in dispenser in the shower, I brought my own. Room was clean and maintained well during our stay. It says that it is an obstructed view because the lifeboats hang just below us, but looking out and across was still good.

Food - I chose RC over another line because they had a reputation for better food, I don't think that is any longer true. Our stateroom attendant asked us if we wanted fresh ice in the am or pm, we told her both and were accommodated - that was the highlight. Overall, we were really disappointed by the food. Both the buffet and the dining room were bland and limited in offerings. In hindsight, it may have been worth it to pay for Johnny Rockets, we just kept hoping it would get better. Even the pizza was terrible, that's hard to mess up. I can't quite bring myself to pay for the premium restaurants when, in my mind, the food is included and I wonder if it is a scam to provide low quality food for free to get me to splurge for the up-charge. We carried a couple 6 packs of water on board and it was perfect for the amount of time we were there. Took two bottles with us each day in port instead of paying for it. Took part in the BBQ lunch on Coco Cay - it was even worse than what we had on the ship - probably because it's even harder to prepare and distribute food on an island if you're bringing it from the ship. If you have a coke package, bring your cup as the ones on the island are tiny.

Misc - I wasn't sure about beach towels so I brought one. Turns out we had no problem checking towels out from the pool area for our excursions. The shops were limited in offerings, but we still managed to spend some money there. The best deal is the 2 for 20 t-shirt time. I don't want to spend $16.95 for a t-shirt, but will gladly spend $10. The photos are pricey as they are on any ship, but they do leave the pictures up for the entire length of the cruise so you can wait until the end to pick the best one.

Disembarkation - overall only ended up taking an hour. We debated on carrying of or having it picked up. Carry off was 7:30-8 and our pick up time was 8-8:15. We went with carrying it off. We had breakfast at 7:20 and by the time we were done at 7:50 the elevators were jam packed. Once off the ship waiting for customs, there were two lines for people who carried off and since we were at the tail end of that it seemed like a while. The people that had theirs picked up and delivered down were able to walk up to their luggage carrier and waited in a line on the other side. It looked like it was actually a faster process, especially if you are in one of the first groups.

Transportation - Taxi to Port from South Beach - $17, Port to Airport $24, plus tips. Airport to south beach the night before where we were was $32, but the sticker on the cab window indicated there were some higher priced sections.

Excursions - Coco Cay - Went with the snorkel package and glad we did. Starting at 9 am helped as the crowds were low and we were the only RC ship docked. As the day went on the entry point got pretty murky, but that isn't really where the fish peeping is. The roped in area is okay for general clarity and we went to all 3 sites of sunken this/that. We did see the lionfish and a stingray. The more beautiful views were when we went out to the deeper designated section. Highly recommend that. Also highly recommend reapplying sun screen hourly. We applied heavily before, but never reapplied and are still paying the price 4 days later. We walked around the rest of the island and it pretty much seemed the same. There were some local vendors that set up shop on the island - they were overpriced and not too friendly (it is really hot and little breeze so maybe I'd be grumpy too if I had to sit there all day), but they did have some picture frames I wish I bought because I didn't find similar nice ones in Nassau. I think they only took cash.

Nassau - Dolphin Encounters, dolphin swim. This place is well kept and the animals are cared for, not just a money maker. It is expensive, but worth it. The dolphins are amazing and getting to hug and kiss one is unbelievable.

We may travel RC again, but it will be based on price and destination.

Publication Date: 06/10/10