Carnival Pride Cruise Review by kimz: Pleasantly Suprised!

kimz
Member Since 2010
1 Post

Compare Prices on Carnival Pride Bahamas Cruises

Pleasantly Suprised!

Sail Date: May 2010
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Baltimore

My husband and I went on the Carnival Pride as our 3rd Carnival cruise. He works for Kraft Foods and I just graduated nursing school. We were celebrating our 2 year anniversary on May 31st. We have gone out of Miami, FL twice before and decided to try going out of Baltimore just to save some money considering we live 2 hours away.

The Port of Maryland was very easy to find and access. You simply drive up and porters will help you with your luggage and then you go park. We arrived at about 11:30 and we were on the ship by 1:30. Very easy process. Our room wasn't ready until 3:00 or so but it gave us the opportunity to run around the ship and figure out where everything was. This helped out so much later. We ended up leaving 2 hours late for some reason but that was no problem because they just went a little faster. Going under the bridge in MD is crazy, there is only a 12 foot clearance between the bridge and us.

We purchased an extended balcony stateroom. We have had More regular balconies in the past and it was a little bigger but it took the space out of the room. I liked it but I don't know if it was worth the extra money. The cabin was clean and stalked every morning and every evening while we were at dinner. This was nice because we on average would take 2 showers a day. Our cabin steward was really good and very nice. The only thing was we didn't know who she was for the first 2 days because she never introduced herself. Still to this day I have no clue of her name but that she always said good morning and asked how our day was going.

Our first 2 days at sea were great. We relaxed and participated in some of the ship activities. It is a smaller ship but I enjoyed it more than the Valor (the ship we had been on twice before). When we did go in the pool we choose to go into the pool on the very back of the ship, it is an adults only pool and whirlpool. We did spend some time in the gym on this trip. It is a well equipped gym. The treadmills are amazing. If you have an Ipod put a movie on it and the treadmills have an Ipod hook up and you can watch your movie. We also spent some time in the spa which is next to the gym. They have an inside whirlpool with a glass dome over it. So if it was raining you would still be able to enjoy some relaxing bubbles. The sauna was very nice. They also have steam room but it was too much for me and I decided to pass on that. We both got a massage from the spa and that was great. Very nice staff.

The Normandie dining room was very nice. Our server was very nice, his name is Olaf. Very attentive. We loved his assistant George. He made our dinner experience so memorable. He was very funny and attentive. He has such a great personality. The food was very good. The Mermaid grille though. It was hit or miss. It is very spread out. You have to walk through the whole area and then decide what you would like and then plan. Yes, you need to plan, you need to get our cold food and dessert first and then stand in line for you hot food. Sometimes the food was good, alot of times it was ok, and a few times it was horrible. We ate breakfast and dinner in the Normandie everyday because of this. The 24 hour pizza is good. I can't comment on the room service because we never ordered it. The only complaint I have really is that their ice machines run out of ice so fast. It seems like half of the time I could get about five pieces of ice. If that is my only complaint, that is great in my eyes.

The cruise director Kirk was very funny. I thought he was a very good cruise director. His assistant Jaime was great too. They worked well off of each other. The deck party that they have every cruise I personally thought was lame. Maybe if I was completely drunk and then I would have enjoyed it but not so much. We did do our laundry on the ship. We were on the 8th floor and the closest laundry room was on deck 7 down the hall a bit. It is $3.00 to wash and $3.00 to dry. Too bad we had to dry twice because our clothes were still very damp after the first round of dryer time. So be warned. If you can go without washing you will save money. The casino was nice. We ended up leaving about even so I can't complain. We played almost every night. Make sure you play face-up blackjack. Less

Read more Carnival Pride cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Pride Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Pride Balcony Panorama 8183

We purchased an extended balcony stateroom. We have had regular balconies in the past and it was a little bigger but it took the space out of the room. I liked it but I don't know if it was worth the extra money. The cabin was clean and stalked every morning and every evening while we were at dinner. This was nice because we on average would take 2 showers a day. Our cabin steward was really good and very nice. The only thing was we didn't know who she was for the first 2 days because she never introduced herself. Still to this day I have no clue of her name but that she always said good morning and asked how our day was going.

Oh Freeport. What a waste of our time. I would have been much happier having stopped at Key West or something. We were only in Freeport from 7 am to 2 pm. We booked the glass bottom boat. Our tour didn't meet until 10:30. So we got up a little late and had a nice relaxing breakfast then we hopped off the ship and looked at the like 5 shops that were there. Where Carnival docks in Freeport it is all industrial. So they only have a few shops in the terminal area. It was all the same stuff as Nassau but more expensive. So when we went for our tour we found out it had been cancelled due to rough seas. We found out about it around 10:20. Carnival knew at about 8 am. We actually had to find out from another passenger because no one was down there from Carnival or the tour company to let us know. So our day was shot because everything else was so far away that by the time we got there we would have to turn around and come back. So we decided to go back to the ship and take advantage of the spa's discounts on port days. When we asked the shore excursion desk later why we were not informed earlier in the morning they said they were very short staffed and had no time to make that many calls. They said there was supposed to be a person out there from the tour company to tell us. They apologized for no one being there to tell us and that was about it.

Read 781 Freeport Reviews

In Nassau, we booked through Carnival again. This time we booked the Discover Atlantis tour. First thing in the morning we got off the ship and went down to the straw market. Very interesting. It is under a huge tent and everyone is selling local goods. I found though that each vendor was selling the same stuff. If you find something you want make sure you bargin for it. We then went back to the ship to put our purchases back in our room and then meet the tour. It stated to pour Caribbean style. Very hard! It didn't last long. That is Caribbean style, lots of rain really fast. Then we were bussed over to Atlantis and we got our tour of this beautiful resort. I recommend this. They have so many aquariums and lagoons for fish and sharks. After the tour you are free to roam about and look around more. We went and found the hammer head sharks. They were in a lagoon and my husband got to get very close to them. He was within a safe distance but much closer than he had ever been before. I personally recommend eating before you go because the prices are ridiculous for food. We decide to just grab a candy bar. So 2 regular size candy bars cost us $4.05. Insane. We stopped at Senor Frogs. We didn't stay because it looked like it was getting ready to storm again. After getting back on the ship it started pour again but this time it was so bad you couldn't more than 20 feet. One of the gun ships docked in the port got hit by lightening. I am so thankful it wasn't us. The rain really had no affect on our ship except our pools and sun decks were closed. The ship still didn't feel crowded.

Read 2662 Nassau Reviews

In Port Canaveral we decided to book the Ron Jon shuttle. The bus took us down to the world's largest Ron Jon shop. Along the way the tour guide tells you a little about Port Canaveral. Behind the shop is Cocoa Beach. What a beautiful beach. The water was perfect and it was so clean. We walked up and down the beach collecting shells. We spent some time in the water letting the waves break on us. I think that this is an awesome place to visit. Wear your sunscreen and the sand gets VERY hot. Make sure you wear shoes. There is a changing house there, and it has some showers to rinse off with and even little foot showers to get the pesky sand that is trying to go home with you.