Island Escape Cruise Review by s.Spencer: What not to drink and wear !!!!

s.Spencer
0 Post

Cabin Not Rated

What not to drink and wear !!!!

Sail Date: May 2010
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Las Palmas

My husband and I just returned on Thursday from a 2 week cruise around the Med on The Island Escape. We had been before ..in 2008....we knew the ropes and what to expect ...however ...THIS time ...what we had not bargained for the "Power of the Plastic" ..ie The Credit Card !!!...Don't ever assume that a cruise (of any type )...equals a particular person.....because it doesn't !!! WE, are NOT snobby ! and neither are we Booze Cruise types ...but this cruise had ALL walks of life ...and sadly...was let down by the "All Inclusive Drinks Package !"...We spoke to a couple on the first day who told us that they were "really impressed " with the drinks package as it paid them !! Previously ...on a 2 week cruise ...they had clocked up £1000 in booze alone !! It became quite evident ...during the cruise that many people were determined to drink as much as was humanely possible in order to take advantage of the all inclusive drinks ! One family became quite rowdy on the strength of an all More day drinking spree...and were not asked to tone it down by the staff !!! I accept that we all have different ways of "chilling out" but listening to people getting abusive through drink ...is not mine !!!I don't understand either why people want to cruise if they are not at all interested in visiting the various ports !! If you want sun and booze...go to a cheap hotel in Spain !!! We met a wonderful family ...and we all played the game we called 1-2-3 .!!! You may also want to join in this game ....inspiration from Gok Wan and Trinny and Susannah !!! Its all about how the Brits (esp. these on The Island Escape) interpret "RELAXED and INFORMAL" ...when it comes to dress ...

1 = I don't give a ****! 2 = That'll do !! 3 = I have clearly made an effort !!!

Oh Dear !!! I have to say that there were MANY 1's !!!!! So if you have notions re dressing up...be prepared to be in the minority !!!! Its a shame that people just can't be bothered .....women of a particular age wearing shorts suited more to leggy 20 year olds ...and with no underwear (up-top!)!!!! We must be the laughing stock of the world as we trudge through the streets of foreign parts !!! For goodness sake ...have a bit of dignity and make a bit of an effort !!!!Its quite sad that people think that they don;t need to make any effort because they didn;t pay too much for their holiday !!! Use what you saved to go mad on e-bay and take a bit of pride in the way you look and behave !!! Theres more to hols than getting drunk and overeating and wearing ill fitting clothes that you wouldn't be seen dead in at home !!!!

On a positive note ...the staff on board were brilliant ...esp in the restaurant!!!...However I think the large blonde Welsh girl (entertainer) rather let the side down on our final morning when ...she had clearly drawn the short straw ...and had been told to see us off the ship and on to the coaches at 7am !!. I stood ...passing the time ...I asked her how long she was on the ship...she said 6 months ....I said it must be nice to visit the ports ...she told me she didnt get much time off ...I added that it was good to get off the ship ...just to get some good coffee ! (sorry ...but the coffee wasnt brilliant !!) ...she the told me in GLORIOUS detail that the coffee was DISGUSTING !!! The cereal was "CHEAP CRAP "...and the milk was even MORE disgusting !!!!and all 3 together were disgusting !...Clearly a drop-out from the Welsh Charm School ! (Not too professional either ! ) I cant comment on the milk or cereal ...but there seemed to be plenty people eating it ! The food was good ...lots of choice and the staff fall over themselves to help in whatever way they can !!!

Ok the last thing I would say ..is that there ought to be zero tolerance when it comes to people being late for the ships departure ! In Naples ...the ship waited for a couple ...The Morrisons ...for an hour....out of the 2000 people onboard who all were on board at the specified time of 1830 ...THEY thought sailing time was 2300 !!! In the end ...after the ship left port ....the Morrisons arrived and were dispatched to ship on The Pilot boat ...(They paid 100 Euros) ...however ...what many people failed to realise was that the ship then had to make up time ....moving faster and therefore burning more fuel !!! ...so who pays THAT ? Perhaps its you and me when we book our next cruise !! Unbelievably ...the same thing happened in Barcelona ...a couple did not get on board at the specified time ...and so the ship waited for an hour before leaving dock ! When we were in Rome ...a man ...left our group and went to visit a bar ...once again we waited for 35 mins ....we were late back to the ship ...all because of him !! He got a taxi back . !!! Its not fair on those of us who want to be in places and make the most of our time there ...only to have it ruined by the people who cant be bothered to turn up om time !!!! If they are not there ...Thompsons should stipulate that they go...at the specified time and there is zero tolerance !!! So ..thats my tuppence worth ...hope its of use to someone ...somewhere ! Less

Read more Island Escape cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Island Escape Review >>

Be prepared to walk around with a GREAT big smile on your face !! A city that is TOTALLY alive and kicking !!! Don't bother with the trips ...take the city tour bus ...you see EVERYTHING !!!

We visited Corsica twice ...first week with a tour (Isabella) to Sartene ...FABULOUS place !!!! a must see ! Isabella is wonderful !!!Next week was Ajaccio with Jacqueline ...again ...FABULOUS !!!! I would live in Corsica tomorrow !!!! Year round sunshine !!!

Excellent for Pompeii and Herculaneum etc ...BUT watch your bags !!!

Read 643 Naples Reviews

Palermo wasnt too great but Cefalu was Fab ... with the help of Max ...Fantastico !! (and rather yummy too !)

Read 102 Palermo Reviews

We took the 10 hr trip with Ingrid !!! Absolutely Fantastic !! There was not ONE thing that she did not know or was unable to answer !!! I would HIGHLY recommend this trip !!

VERY expensive !!! ...and nobody tells you that you can pay 1 euro to get a bus to Nice from there !!!