Zaandam Cruise Review by Sangamo: A day in the life of Zaandam

Zaandam 3
Member Since 2008
8 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

A day in the life of Zaandam

Sail Date: May 2010
Destination: Cruise to Nowhere
Embarkation: Vancouver

Having sailed Norwegian, Princess, and Royal Caribbean, wanted to try Holland America and the one night cruise fit into our schedule. We had booked an interior, but after prices dropped they allowed us to upgrade to a verandah suite for only $20 more, which I appreciated.

Embarkation was quick as the ship was half empty. The stateroom was large and comfortable with a great bathroom with tub and nice balcony. We did find clothing from the prior occupants (nice pants, but too large for me), bags from Hilo Hattie and ABC Stores (brought back memories from our honeymoon in Hawaii) and letterhead for the prior occupants. However, the sanitary cleaning appeared to have been done.

Food in the lido buffet was excellent with a good variety, prepare to order stations, and varieties of ice cream, with very friendly staff. I found the dining room average, however, and it seemed that things had been dialed down given for the one day cruise, even though there were a number of More travel agents on board. The overall decor in the public areas was a bit dark for my taste. I was intrigued by the pipe organ in the atrium, but unfortunately there was only one brief unannounced show that I caught the end of. Did attend the production show, which was ok, but given the one night cruise did not partake in some of the facilities. We needed an early departure in the morning and shore desk was not particularly helpful.

Overall, I was satisfied but would probably not cruise again unless there was an itinerary I wanted or great deal - I did not find it to be a premium experience worth paying more than say Princess. Less

Published 06/04/10

Read more Zaandam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Zaandam Review >>

Compare Prices on Zaandam Cruise to Nowhere Cruises

Cabin review: 6118

Unfortunately the Holland America/Princess pier is not close to downtown. Customs clearance was dead slow (almost 2 hours and we nearly missed our transfer). The exit area is poorly organized and none of the personnel seemed to have good information. Once downtown, downtown Seattle is walkable but a bit hilly, so you will not want to be dragging luggage. There is a convenient train line to the airport for just $2.50, so from downtown no transfer is needed.

Read 453 Seattle Reviews

We liked Vancouver and have been here before; little time here this time because our flight was delayed. There is now a convenient train line from the airport right downtown and you can easily walk to the Canada Place cruise terminal - no need to pay for airport transfer. Embarkation on this cruise was great, but we had a bad experience with long chaotic lines later.

Compare Prices on Zaandam Cruise to Nowhere Cruises

Member Since 2008
8 Forum Posts
Family & Children
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X