Celebrity Century Cruise Review by hooperfloop

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Century Cruise Review by hooperfloop
Celebrity Century
Celebrity Century
Member Name: hooperfloop
Cruise Date: May 2010
See More About: Celebrity Century Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Century 3 Years Later
This was a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise with stops in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Playa Del Carmen, and Key West in the first week of May 2010. We are a mid 30s couple with about a dozen cruises to our credit. We were on Century just after the major refurbishment back in 2007. We had a Celebrity experience then and were looking forward to being on Century again.

In short "Why is Celebrity tarnishing its image by keeping this bucket of bolts in their fleet?"

We had cabin 1217 on the top level of the ship.

Air conditioning in our cabin didn't work from the moment we got there. Maintenance guy eventually just removed the cover to the fan and told us there wasn't anything else he could do. Took a couple days but it finally started working on day 3. Was not a lot of fun getting ready for formal night in the sweltering hot cabin.

No Hot water in our cabin. This ended up being a blessing since the AC didn't work LOL This was fixed sometime in the evening of the first day.

Noxious fumes were coming from the AC one day. I had a cold and didn't notice but started feeling sick. My wife woke up from her nap and the first thing she said was "It smells like gas fumes in here!" I went out on deck and immediately started feeling better with a little fresh air. SCARY! When I told guest services they sent some people to smell around but were not going to do anything until Joseph the room attendant spoke up and said he had smelt the gas smell all afternoon in other cabins too and one other passenger had also complained about a funny smell coming from the bathroom and the vents. Not sure what they did but when we came back from Dinner it didn't smell anymore.

Broken lights, Broken TV, Broken Toilet, I could go on and on but I think you get the point.

Don't get me wrong overall this was still a good cruise. But this ship needs to be retired. It is old and tired and showing it.

We found out during the cruise that the ship had just come out of drydock the previous week and many of the staff was new to the ship so I am going to cut them a break on the lack of service. But Celebrity is hurting its image by pillaging the experienced service oriented staff for the new Solstice class ships and by continuing to sail Century.

Certainly not what I would call a Celebrity experience this time around.

Publication Date: 06/04/10