Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by Yurita: Liberty, a beauty of the seas

Yurita
Member Since 2007
1,476 Posts

Compare Prices on Liberty of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Liberty, a beauty of the seas

Sail Date: May 2010

After sailing our last Carnival cruise (Carnival Freedom), we were convinced we needed a Royal time. Having hundred's of conversations regarding what to book between the Oasis, the Freedom or the Liberty; the decision was made for us when the Liberty dropped $200 lower per person than the Freedom of the seas, and about $1000 less than the Oasis of the seas.

Initially we were assigned to cabin 6129, a cat N. We were not pleased with this location for 2 reasons #1 a little forward, and #2 there was an empty space next to it which could mean, noise. We phoned RCCL and we were offered few available options, so decided to switch to cabin 2627.

For those who worry about deck 2, let me tell you, this location was the best we've had (motion-wise). No movement, noise or any disturbance of any kind. Absolutely recommend this cabin.

Grandpa had a PR cabin (7291), which was a bit more noisy than ours; however, it was perfect view for the parades, parties, etc. But, More be warned, during the 70's party and parades, you can hear the loud music. Nevertheless, it was a great location.

Boarding the Liberty of the seas took us about 45min - 1 hr. The lines forming at 12:00pm were nothing to laugh about, however, they moved pretty fast. When the doors of deck 4 open for the first time, it is almost impossible not to drop your mouth open and WOW...

The Royal Promenade is definitively an impressive venue, with its lights inviting you everywhere you turned. Shops, cooffe shops, pizzeria, a hair salon... the Liberty might have it all.

We immediately went upstairs to walk the pool deck. The solarium, H2O zone, 2 main pools, the flowrider, rock climbing wall, basketball/volleyball court, golf made me feel like it was all over my first cruise.

The windjammer provided us the rest of the energy for the afternoon. I had a nice Asian sweet-sour chicken which tasted like heaven. We then headed to our cabins. Not much different from our Mariner of the seas cabin, except for the interactive TV and the flat screens. Soon after it was already time to sail away from the front of the ship and say goodbye to Florida for the next 7 days.

The first 2 Fun days at the seas always began with a 'fatty-licious' breakfast, followed by the Cantilevered whirlpools. Activities were always endless, but for some reason we found the H2O zone very accommodating, especially the space between the 2 main pools and H2O zone. You get the best of both worlds. One tip: The H2O pool is about 5 feet deep, so most of the people enjoying it were adults. Also this pool has a waterfall... it was our favorite.

We tried the flowrider and loved it. Make sure LADIES you wear a shirt and shorts. There was a teen who broke her arm while surfing, so I recommend boogie boarding ONLY if you don't know how to surf.

My time dinning was ok. Princess does a better job than RCCL here. Most of the time we went to dinner we had to share an 8-10 people table. The only way to avoid this is by making reservation the day before and asking for your size-choice-table.

Ports: St. Marteen: We booked Captain Alan's 3 island tour. What a blast! we arranged his taxi driver to pick us up and take us to Captain Alan's marina. Capt. Alan was very helpful and accommodating. His boat is fun, especially if you go in the very front of the ship, jumping waves. We stopped at 2 snorkeling stops, where we got to see sea turtles and swim with them. We also visited 2 beaches, Pinel island and Happy bay. Pinel island was a beauty. The excursion ended around 1500 (3:00pm).

San Juan: Since we have visited this port before, we decided to enjoy the ship ourselves. This was the day I totally felt I was getting to know the ship better. I got to enjoy every pool on my own, ice skate, do the flowrider, golf, play table tennis without any rush or interruption. Having the ship on your own is the best!! you can do whatever, sit wherever, and not worry about people.

Labadee: Amazing to see how many changes have taken place after our 2008 Mariner cruise. Our favorite beach ( Barefoot beach) is only accessible if you are a suite guest, or if you reserve any of the cabanas. The new pier is definitely a plus. If you get off the ship early, you can get any spot anywhere. There's plenty of beaches, chairs and shadows. The buffet, tasty as always did not disappoint.

Shows: The ice-skating show was magnificent, no words! they had some guests from Russia who totally rocked the show. Wow! The liberty crew offered 4 different ice skating showtimes, so everyone could see it. I enjoyed 'On the air' show, and the comedian. The parades... man, I wish they had the 11:45pm parade a little earlier. It was too late for us, so we couldn't be there. We, however, went to the pirates' parade around 6:00pm.

For those interested in booking your next cruise while you are onboard, we did it! We booked the Oasis and RCCL gave us $100 OBC, plus only $100pp deposit, and an upgrade from a D4 balcony to a D1 (hump BL). We had our confirmation #, and soon as we arrived home, we had a confirmation email with all the info.

There's nothing I would change on the Liberty of the seas as a ship. It was the best vacation after 6 previous cruises. The ship is a beauty. The only two things I did not enjoy much were the movies they were playing on TV, which were old compared to the ones Princess is playing at the moment. Yes, Princess offers better TV movies and better My time dinning.

My advice for those sailing the Liberty soon is ... ENJOY! She will not disappoint! Less

Read more Liberty of the Seas cruise reviews >>