Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by funships: Kids had a ball

Compare Prices on Jewel of the Seas Bahamas Cruises

Kids had a ball

Sail Date: May 2010
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

I've been planning this cruise since May of last year ever since my BF and I sailed the RC to Bermuda. We were so impressed that I decided that the next cruise, I will take my kids with me to let them have the time of their lives. I knew that NCL was not going to be as glamorous as Royal but my kids wouldn't know the difference.

Embarkation was quick and easy. We met up with a CC family who's daughter, my daughter's age, have been in communication with my daughter prior to the trip.

The first evening, I went to register my kids (boy 14,girl 10)at the kids clubs. It was crazy and disorganized. Too many people in one little room trying to get info. That night I went to a show with my mom and brought my daughter to the kids club. She met up with her new friend. When I came back to pick her up after the show, both girls were miserable and couldn't wait to get out of there. The problem is, when you bring the kids to this age group, they are not allowed to leave for the More 1st 2 hours even though I signed that I let her come and go when she wants. I don't see why they have to wait 2 hours. Both girls complained that the counselors were abrupt, cold and loud. Needless to say, they never went back. There is a huge gap in age at this club and the girls were stuck doing what the little ones were doing. The counselors have all the activities only in that room.

The rest of the cruise, my daughter was busy with her friend and had a blast. We only saw them when we bumped into them and when they checked in with us at specific times. My son found a bunch of teens his age and had a blast as well.

The food was okay. I expected better especially at the main dining rooms included with the price. To be honest, I enjoyed garden cafe food better. Garden cafe was always over crowded and it was always tough to find a table that wasn't too far from the buffet. I didn't find the dining staff to be very attentive. Most of them didn't seem happy.

The room was small but we made it work. There was plenty of storage. The bathroom was convenient and we didn't get in each others way. The cabin steward was great and helpful although out of the 7 days we only got 2 towel animals.

We decided to go to the Kennedy Space Center at our first stop. It took half a day and we had a good time even though it poured out. The second port was the best, beautifull water and nice beach day. We were snorkeling and really enjoyed the island. The 3rd port was okay at Nassau. My daughter got her hair braided and we did a lot of shopping.

The shows on the ship were really good, I recommend all of them. The ship officers were very upbeat and approachable.

My worst complaint is about the pool area. Both pools are close together which brings a lot of people to one place. I was never able to find a lounge on the pool deck. It was only on the 2nd or 3rd deck that I found availability. People have a horrible habit of reserving chairs by putting towels, bags or shoes on them and then leaving for hours. On top of this crowd, someone had a genius idea to have a bbq ever day in that area. Now that brought even more crowd on top of an already crowded place. Now a bbq by the pool side is GREAT, but if the engineering was a bit different on this ship, a pool side bbq would have turned out a lot better.

Disembarkation was a mess. We chose to get off with our luggage to make it easier. Big mistake. It took hours and a very long line to get off the ship. Now one was telling us what the problem was, we just had to wait.

To sum it up, I knew I wasn't going to get on NCL what I got on Royal but for the money I spent on this cruise, it was worth it. I did relax and enjoyed a lot of parts of the cruise. I enjoyed the freestyle but more restaurants should have been included in the price Less

Read more Jewel of the Seas cruise reviews >>