Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by purplekisses: We got our Splendor on.

purplekisses
Member Since 2007

Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Mexican Riviera Cruises

We got our Splendor on.

Sail Date: May 2010
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

We left Utah at 5:00am for the 10 hour drive to Long Beach. We made a stop in Las Vegas for lunch and hit the road again. We spent 2 day prior to the cruise in Long Beach at the Super 8. We got a good deal on the room. The Super 8 has it's good points and it not so good points. We paid $146 for both nights. We had a large room with 2 king beds. The motel is a little older. The good points are--the staff is wonderful, free breakfast, afternoon snacks with soda and wine, and a nice size pool with a really hot hot tub. The room we got, which was room 101 was under the lobby, so it was at little loud late into the night, the hotel is on a main room. We could here the cars when we were at the pool but didn't notice the noise from the cars in the room. Would I stay here again??? Yes. The price was right and the breakfast had a lot of choices and it was free. We spent one day in Long Beach at the Aquarium and Seaport Village.

Sunday we boarded the ship around 12:30pm we had zone 1. More The ship is the largest boat we had been on. The layout is a little different than the two previous cruises on the fantasy class ship. The kids(ages 12 and 13) had it figured out on the first day. I was comfortable by day 3 but still had times when we did a lot of back tracking. We were in the golden pearl dining room on the bottom and you had to go up to go down to get the the entrance. Other than that it is fairly easy to get around.

Our cabin was a balcony cabin. We had cabin for 4, an upper, couch/bed and the king. It was not as cramped as I thought it would be. The best tip I got from the CC boards was the shoe organizer. I am a little bit of a neat freak and it really helped with every-one's stuff not being all over.

Entertainment was a little sparse after the first day unless you like the drinking pool type games. (We don't drink, myself for health reasons, hubby just never has) We enjoyed the shows. My 12 year old son, who has just discovered girls enjoyed the Fiesta Latina show especially. The dancers come down and dance in the isle.

The food was on par for Carnival. We have always enjoyed the food, the only thing I didn't care for was the rotisserie chicken. We had a great waiter in the dining room, Noel. He was great. The only blip was one night my niece has pasta and found a piece of plastic in it. The Maitre D was there in flash and apologized greatly and offered to bring her something else. She was just about finish with her dinner.

The kids really enjoyed all the Circle C activities. We hardly saw them and they made a lot of friends.

Disembarkation was smooth, but a little late. There was a hold up with customs. We had zone 18 and we were off about 9:45am. When we were walking through the terminal to the luggage pick up there were 2 "gentlemen" in handcuffs being escorted away.

Overall the Splendor was great. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Balcony Upper 6335

Our cabin had no problems. It was layed out great.

In Cabo we went parasailing and had a glass bottom boat ride with a beach stop. We booked though Cabo Tours. The parasailing was a first for all of us. It was beautiful and very peaceful. I did start to get a little airsick but nothing too bad. You really aren't up that long, but for me any longer and it would of been a problem. We did a little tour in the glass bottom boat and our driver dropped us off at Lover's Beach. It is a really pretty area. Cabo is much pretty beach wise and water wise. The water is a really pretty blue color. The kids got buried in the sand and rolled around in the ocean. Our driver picked us up on time. There was a little funny thing getting back on the tender. We were standing in line and a group of bar hoppers showed up. They had spent their time sampling the local drink. First they were loud, then they were having a hard time standing, then they dropped a bottle of tequila in line. The whole area smelled like tequila. We finally got on the tender and the last person they put on our boat with this really drunk from the group. They wanted to seat her in the back near a goup of about 30 us. The guys all protested and would not let them put her in with us(I afaird I had to agree, tequila smell bad, but puke would have been worse). We get back to the ship we were some of the last of the tender and who is sitting on the floor in the line to get back on the ship, but drunk girl. She had lost her sign and sail card. Her passport was laying a few feet away from her as well. I did pick it and give it back to her.

Cabo overall was beautiful.

We booked the stone island beach break with Mazatlan tours. It was well worth the $36 we paid. The harbour tour is a little corny but the kids liked it. The beach was nice. We really enjoyed our time there. The tour included lunch which was good, with an open bar. All the soda we could drink and spirits if you chose. There were a lot of vendors and it did get a little trying at times, but we just shooed them away. We did the banana boat rides and played in the ocean. The highlight of the trip for the kids is when they rocked the banana so hard we all went in the water. They got a kick out of dunking me.

We would book this again.

Read 290 Mazatlan Reviews

In Puerto Vallarta we went zip lining. I booked with Los Veranos through Puerto Vallarta tours. We had a good time. It was very hot and the hike was a little tough. I am not in the best of shape, but I do ride a stationary bike daily for my health, and I was sweating like a little piggy by the end. We had lunch there and it was good, but a little pricey for what you got. Would I do it again? Probably not. Afterwards the driver dropped us off downtown adn we walked along the Malecon. We took pictures of the sand scupltures and did a little shopping. We did go to Walmart in the morning before zip lining to see how different it was from ours.

Overall we had a really good time.