Carnival Valor Cruise Review by smile86

Dining 5+
Entertainment Not Rated
Value-for-Money 5+

2nd cruise but by far the worst
I went with my husband and this was our second cruise and by far the WORST one ever and that's saying a lot the first one we went on a huge tropical storm went through so it was bad seas and we even had to skip a port. However the itinerary for this cruise was amazing. When we boarded the ship there was still trash, food and cups still left laying around from the guest who had just gotten off the ship. Through the entire cruise food was just left laying around on the top decks for hours and cups and bottles just rolling around all over on the back upper deck. There was food and trash left in the elevators for a few hours before someone came around and picked it up.

The food in the Dinning Rood was amazing. However the food from the buffet line was awful. The food was cold most of the time and if you were allergic to seafood like myself or you just do not like it then you were pretty much stuck eating one or two different things and that was it. It was great that the deli where you can get hot and cold sandwiches was open from 11am to 11pm but was very disappointed that the grill where they serve hamburgers, hotdogs, fries, and chicken would close around 2:30 everyday. Also the burrito station would close around 2:30 as well. However on ports day everything would stay open an extra hour. There are so was a stir fry line which would also close what most people considered to early. They only had 3 types of sauce to use and NO soy sauce so that too was disappointing for lots of people as i listened to conversations.

Our stateroom was amazing there is really nothing bad that I could say about it. We had an ocean view which was wonderful to have. Everyday our room was cleaned and bed was remade even though my husband and I always make our bed up before we left the room and at night our bed would be turned down with a couple mints the flyer for what was going on the next day on the ship and the port we would be at. There would also be a towel animal and if you have never seen one they are great I love them so much. Has to be the one thing I really look forward to every carnival cruise I go on. Even the things left out on the desk or bathroom was never touch or moved they just cleaned around everything. However I did notice the floor was not vacuumed while we were there or not vacuumed very well.

We really did not do any of the onboard activities. We did some on our last cruise and most was just foul words used and we just ended up leaving so we just decided to not bother with anything so we may have missed something great but oh well it happens. We did go to the marriage thing which was pretty funny and we really enjoyed it. However one thing I did not like was we had gotten tickets to win a free cruise while we were at the past guest party. Well we had to go sit through half of a bingo game just to find out if we won because you had to be present to win. Also disappointing was the stores would have one hour sales starting at 8pm however if your late seating your pretty much out of luck because your dinning time is 8:15

At Grand Cayman we had signed up for Discover Cayman-Stingrays, Hell, & Turtle Farm. The sand bar was closed so we could no do the stingray portion of the tour which happens you can not control mother nature. We went to the turtle farm which I though would be more like conservation and its not they tell you a couple facts about turtles show you the tanks you get to hold a couple and that's pretty much it. They release some turtles to the wild but they rest just seem to be raised for food. Hell was about 15 minute tour it really was nothing at all but still cool to see. The worst part about the whole tour was our driver. He drove like a crazy person almost running over people walking or on bikes. He ran every stop sign never yielded when he should have. He ran into the back of another bus while he was pulling out to go down the road. He also drank a beer while driving and as we got back to the port he crashed into a wall breaking part of the wall off and we saw people pulling other people out of the way so they did not get run over and people screaming.

In Roatan we did Jolly Roger Sailing Catamaran & Gumbalinda Park. You have to pay 3 dollars for a locker key if you bring a bag which most will seeing you are going snorkeling also on this tour. We had an issue with this because we were on the last group to go so they only had tiny lockers left and our stuff would not fit in them so we, being our group was told we had to buy 2 lockers or just leave our stuff unattended on some tables. I pretty much said I do not think so and she got up off her butt and found bigger lockers for everyone. The park was great not what we expected but was still nice. We got to hold a monkey and a macaw. The snorkeling was alright the coral reef was so far below us it was hard to really make out everything. We saw some fish but none of them were like bright color fish you would expect to see also there were not a whole lot of fish either.

In Belize we did Barrier Reef Snorkel at Turneffe with Beach Break again not a lot of fish or bright colors but the reef was much closer so you could actually enjoy seeing the coral. The beach was AMAZING it was so beautiful and relaxing. It was by far the best shore excursions we did. The whole trip.

In Cozumel we did the Playa Mia Beach Break it cost us 15 dollars for the taxi to get to the beach then another 15 dollars to get back to the ship which is not included in you price for the excursion. We ordered off the menu and one meal was 14 dollars and the other 11 dollars maybe and you got what you paid for the taste was great and the portions were large. They do have a buffet for 16 dollars a person for all day but we do not know how good it was. Also with this tour you get free drinks I guess but we just got some water. What you do see there is 500 lounge chairs stacked next to each other so bad you could not walk through them to get down to the water you had to walk all the way around them and find an opening The beach was terrible it was so rocky that we couldn't even walk out in the water. I even gashed open my foot and that pretty much messed up the rest of my day and the next day I could not even walk. Beach is not the fine bleached white sand you see elsewhere more like what you see on a northern east coast beach of the United States it was brown, coarse and mushy. It was more like a man made beach than anything. Will never go back to this beach ever again and I do not recommend it either unless all your looking for is free drinks.

The staff were very friendly and the housekeeping staff would ask how we were doing every single day and it was the ones for the whole deck not just the ones that cleaned up our room. Food service people where also very kind I even saw one playing with a little boy on an empty table so his family could eat. The last Sunday the day we got off everyone had to leave there room and wait in central meeting areas which became over crowed and people could not move around or even sit down for that fact. To make it even worse customs systems where down so we had to wait another hour and change before we could get off the ship. Our last cruise people were able to wait in their rooms till their zones were called which worked so much better and make getting off the ship so much easier. We went on another tour in Miami and was packed in the theater because that was the meeting place for everyone on our tour but seeing people could not be in their room there would hundreds of regular people in the same room with us. So it got confusing on where we needed to be so we did not miss the tour and the staff at that point was not helpful at all. I was talking to one asking a question and he turn and tells me and my husband to go sit down you can not stand here. I told him again look I am on a tour we just want to know if there is a particular place in this room we are to meet up and once again he tells us you need to sit down so other people can get into the room. So we just gave up and went to sit down finally we saw some people with the same sticker leaving the room and so we left with them. My husband and I were the last people in the bus. So if I had not seen the other people we would have missed our tour and had been out 129 dollars. So overall I was not impressed with this cruise or how this ship works and if every cruise this ship does is like the one I had I would NOT recommend this ship until they change. I had times I said I would never cruise with Carnival again however that really is not the case because I do enjoy Carnival and we are willing to give them another chance next year.

Publication Date: 06/01/10