Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by Steve R

3-6 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Mexico Riviera on the Splendor
Here is my review of our cruise on the splendor. This cruise we decided to bring the kids along with us (first cruise taking the kids) as well as a couple of my wife's girlfriends. We had 2 inside cabins right next to each other which was nice. My son is 5 (turned 5 on the cruise) and my daughter is almost 3. We decided carnival because I think that they have one of the best kid programs.

Embarkation: This was the norm. We got to the docks at approximately 1300 hours and we were in line for about 45 minutes to an hour. It was straight forward and there was nothing out of the ordinary. When we got onto the ship, we went to our stateroom and it was ready.

Cabin: We had an inside cabin and it was close to most of the other inside cabins I have been in. The shower might have been a little bigger than some but overall it was close to the norm. There was plenty of closet space (if you have 2 people) but with a couple of kids and all of my wife's stuff it got a little cramped for space. We had a pull down bed that came down from the ceiling which my kids loved to play on. There is only one electrical outlet in the main cabin so make sure you bring an extension cord. We brought our kids video baby monitors which was real nice for when we put the kids down to sleep at night. We would go next door to the next cabin and would be able to watch the kids sleep and still be able to talk and watch TV. The video monitors worked good at that distance. I have pictures of the cabin if anyone is interested.

Kids Programs: I was very impressed with Camp Carnival. They did a real good job with setting things up for the different age groups. Since my kids were both 5 and under they were able to be in the same group. My son loved Camp Carnival and it was hard to get him away from it. If it was up to him he would not have left there. My daughter on the other hand was a bit more difficult. She was just a little too young and had some separation anxiety. But they give you a cell phone so if there was any problems they would call you on the cell phone. Unfortunately I got a couple of calls due to my daughter crying :( But they had a bunch of different activities for the kids and the program overall is excellent.

Ship: Overall the ship is nice. People complain about it being the pink ship but I didn't think that it was that bad. It's Carnival, of course it is going to have pink. One of the best features that they had on this ship (family wise) is the water park for the children. This is a great place for the children to play. They also have a big water slide. This water slide is fun and my son loved it. My daughter was unable to go on it because she was not tall enough. I think you have to be 42 inches to ride the big water slide. Most of the rest of the ship was the usual. They had an adult pool in the back of the boat which seemed to have the younger party crowd there. And that worked well for us with families.

Dining: The food at the buffet was OK. The burrito bar was good and we spent a lot of the lunches eating there. We booked our cruise late and we got stuck with the late dining. This is real late when you have two small children who's bedtime is 8:00 PM. We tried to change the seating but we did not have any luck with that. We tried to eat in the dining room a couple of times but one of us always ended up leaving early with my daughter (just too late for her). The food was good but not great on the few diners that I did get a chance to eat.

Entertainment: We didn't get out to see too many of the shows. But the couple that we did see we were not too impressed. They were OK but nothing to write home about.

Ports: We did not do much in any of the ports. With the way Mexico is right now we did not want to take our children off the boat. Plus they loved being on the boat so that was not a problem.

Overall we had a great trip. I would use Carnival again because they have a great kids program and the price of the cruise is hard to beat.

Publication Date: 05/31/10