Seabourn Odyssey Cruise Review by TGtraveler

Cruise Date: May 2010
Embarkation: Istanbul
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: PH
See More About: Seabourn Odyssey Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Seabourn Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Ship Facts: Seabourn Odyssey Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Seabourn Odyssey Deck Plans
Caveat emptor (Let the Buyer beware)!
I am not the most seasoned cruiser (this was only my third cruise), but I have been fortunate in that I have experienced many highly rated hotels and restaurants. Therefore, I do know a thing or two about good service which I was totally expecting from all of the research I had done on the Seabourn cruise line. I was extremely disappointed to find that good service was in very short supply throughout my cruise. And in comparison to the service received on my previous two cruises, the service I received on Seabourn paled in comparison.

I sailed with two of my former co-workers and we each do a great deal of research before we decide on our trips. We chose this particular cruise based on the itinerary, date of sail and Seabourn's reputation. It took until Wednesday for room service to snap to the fact that there were 3 people in our room even though we always clearly stated 'service for 3' on the room service slip. Our shower was clogged from day one and it took 3 calls over 3 days to get that problem fixed. Our room steward did not possess the 'willingness to serve' attitude but rather acted like her duties were beneath her. Service in the restaurants was severely lacking. The first evening, I ordered prime rib which was delivered to me without any horseradish sauce. One of my friends had also asked for tea when the drink orders were initially taken. We were unable to get anyone's attention until finally (when I had about two bites of prime rib left), a supervisor happened by and arranged for the tea and horseradish. The lack of good service prevailed throughout the week with the exception of the Patio Grill on Thursday night. Wednesday the port of call was Santorini and since the ship was not sailing until 11 pm, we stayed on the island to watch the sunset. We got back to our room and had an invitation to join the guest speaker earlier THAT same evening for dinner with an RSVP request. I called to let them know they should be more timely in delivering their invitations. Basically across the board, the staff seemed to be novices with an apparent lack of supervision. (The room service order was NEVER correct for the entire week.) If there was some quality control, some of these issues could have been avoided.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the vibration issue. It was so bad in our cabin that I seriously considered flying back to the States on the third day of the cruise. While I was lying in bed, it was very similar to being in a vibrating chair like they have in the nail salon but there was not an OFF switch. However, it must have been a speed triggered problem because once we were just traveling among the Greek isles, it wasn't as noticeable. One employee mentioned the problem was especially prevalent at 19 knots and the bar out on deck would noticeably be shaking.

We met some delightful fellow passengers and the ports were beautiful which helped to make the ship experience less upsetting. On the positive side, our penthouse suite was ideally suited for three guests - three sinks, the closet/changing area was great, the twin beds and sleeper sofa were very comfortable; the food was always excellent; and the service and entertainment in the Observation Bar was top notch! There wasn't much else to do in the evenings besides going to the Observation Bar to visit with fellow passengers. The entertainment in the showroom didn't start until 10 pm which is kind of late for early morning shore excursions. By the way, our privately arranged tours at the ports of call were hands down better than the ship excursions. We tried both.

I do want to let you know that twice I was given the opportunity to give my opinions on questionnaires that were brought to our cabin. One was given out very early in the week. I expressed these same views but never have heard a word from management.

When you have such high expectations for a trip of a lifetime, it is very disappointing to find your choice fall so short.

Publication Date: 05/30/10