“Worst cruise out of 60 in my lifetime!”
Cruise review of Viking Sun (Retired)

Joe Holliday Viking Sun (Retired) 1 Worst cruise out of 60 in my lifetime!
Joe Holliday
Member Since
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
I have traveled on over 60 cruises and this was the worst one I have ever been on. Our stateroom was incredibly noisy, so I didn't get any sleep all week. Every time anyone on the ship flushed their toilet, we heard is as loud as someone in the room blowing their nose... gross. The heater (which was needed in the cold ship) made popping noises, so we couldn't use it at night. When we complained about the noise to the front desk, their ignored our urgent request fro a solution.

The ship docked a mile away from where they told us it would be in Amsterdam, forcing my 82 year old parents to walk that far with all their luggage.

I highly recommend avoiding the Helvetia and its sister ship Sun until Viking fixes these mechanical problems.

Overall Ratings
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

212
Our stateroom was incredibly noisy, so I didn't get any sleep all week. Every time anyone on the ship flushed their toilet, we heard is as loud as someone in the room blowing their nose... gross. The heater (which was needed in the cold ship) made popping noises, so we couldn't use it at night. When we complained about the noise to the front desk, their ignored our urgent request fro a solution. The ventilation system was very bad, since we smelled all sorts of smells wafting into the intake, including diesel exhaust, smoke, and even lighter fluid for a BBQ. When the front desk didn't do anything about the lighter fluid smell, a whole bunch of us had to storm the desk to get attention... I never heard of something so dangerous. Their sound system in the lounge also did not work for half of the cruise, but at least that didn't deprive us of sleep!

Published 05/30/10
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Viking Sun (Retired) Review
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?