Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by renee

Entertainment 5+
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Explorer of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean
We sailed the Explore of the Seas 9/19-27/04. This ship was amazing. My husband and I had a deluxe cabin with a balcony. We were very pleased with the cabin, the bed was even comfortable! The balcony did show some wear, there was a bit of rust showing, but never the less, we will never go with less than a balcony again! The bathroom did seem bigger than the bath on our last ship, Rhapsody of the Seas. Our room attendants Maria was the best! We also enjoyed the wait staff and especially our waiter P.K.!

The overall appearance of the ship was very good. The crew did a good job of cleaning up after all of us. I never felt crowded, there seemed to be enough room to accommodate all the guests.

Dining--We had second seating for supper. It was great because you were not shorted when you were in port by having to get back to the ship early for supper. I thought the food was good. I even think it was better than on our first cruise. It seems that Royal Caribbean is always trying to better themselves. I even noticed a change in the coffee to Seattle's Best, much better than what we had on ROS.

The Windjammer was the same as on our other cruise, the food was fine for breakfast and lunch, I would not want to eat there for supper. The main problem I always found was finding a seat. Not an easy task.

My first experience with Johnny Rocket's was not very good. After waiting for take out for 25 minutes, I got my food and it was cold. I decided to give it another chance, and it was much better, the milksake was grand.

Entertainment and Theater--All the entertainment was top notch. The Ice Show was fantastic! What a nice change as well. We felt there was a nice variety of entertainment so you did not get bored. The theater was big enough to accommodate everyone. I wish they would have had tables by the chairs in the theater instead of drink holders in the arms--the holders were not big enough to hold most glasses.

Our cruise director Clodagh was great! She kept everyone happy and entertained. She was very visible all the time.

The Casino--I thought the Casino was rather small for this size ship. Everything seemed cramped.

The ports-of-call were beautiful. We booked our St. Martin Island tour and Nassau, Bahamas excursions through the ship. The St. Martin island tour was fine for the money. Our Nassau excursion and port-of-call was cancelled due to Hurricane Jeanne beating us to the island. We booked our St. Thomas excursion online ourselves through Godfrey Tours, St. Thomas. It was the best shopping/island/swim & snorkel excursion! He kept us entertained all day!

Extended cruise Day 8--The port of Miami and airport were closed on Sunday due to Hurricane Jeanne, so we got an additional day at sea. Royal Caribbean did all they could do to accommodate our extra day including creating a Day 8 daily itinerary. There was plenty of activities set-up to keep people busy, and they even showed movies! In the afternoon on Sunday they set-up free access to the internet and free phone calls. Probably the only two things that could have been better would have been it the telephones in the cabins had been free, they were the usual $7.95 per minute and if you had used the internet in the morning, they did not go back and comp it, you still had to pay those charges. The lines to use the telephone were at times 3 hours long. The internet went faster, as there were more computers set-up to use.

Meet & Mingle--We had 47 people signed up for our Meet and Mingle. About 30 showed up. It ws very nice. EOS gave us a private room with drinks (tea, water and lemonade) and appetizers, as well as lanyards with seapass holder! It was very nice and we had a great time! Clodagh (Cruise Director) came to visit with us.

All in all, I was very impressed with RCCL and Explorer of the Seas. I look forward to our next cruise with RCCL!

Publication Date: 10/04/04