Grand Princess Cruise Review by rmtman

Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: BA
Cabin Number: C602
See More About: Grand Princess Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Grand Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Grand Princess Deck Plans
Grand Princess 8 May 2010
Hi Everybody,

Didn't enjoy this one as much as last year due to all the problems.

We had to wait to get on, but not as long as some people we were talking to who had to wait 3 hours or more sat on their coach at Southampton before being allowed to board.

Once we were called to board there was problems with the cruise card machines which was slowing things up this was the same problem getting back off again at Southampton.

Yes there was a problem with the Virus which the Captain only started to make announcements about after a couple of days into the cruise.

People we were talking to said that 400 went down with it on the previous cruise and some were saying that the Virus had been on the ship since January. I think the numbers going down with it on this cruise may have got to half the ship.

We have people we know that are recently back from a Fred Olsen cruise where the virus was on board and the cruise was cut short by 2 days because it was so bad. It is not just Princess that have had this virus.

Because of the virus this caused the Horizon not be self service and in fact food was served to you which slowed things down and had a knock on effect on the other dining rooms as we noticed waiting staff being pulled into the Horizon from the other rooms to help with the serving.

The sea wasn't as kind to us this year particularly when we were supposed to go to Naples and couldn't go in leaving us to sail to Corsica. What a night it was when we left Corsica the sea was rather rough that night and we were glad we had come down a few decks this year and more into the middle. We were on Lido Deck last year and 3 cabins back from the bridge.

I heard a lot of people complaining and trying to compare with other cruise lines and it did make me think why they had come on this cruise if these other lines were so much better and I am not talking about the virus or the problem with the machines here. I am talking about the food and the entertainment etc here.

I think you have to take in what prices you are paying and the type of cruise you are wishing to take.

On the other side I have heard that the food wasn't as good or plentiful on other lines and other lines you may have to be dressed up more.

I personally am content with the food, If I had to criticise then there were occasions where it could of been hotter at times. Dressing up I think they have got it about right but some passengers decided to come into the dining rooms on smart casual nights in Jeans and were let in. Whilst it wouldn't normally bother me I thought this strange that having made some rules that Princess didn't apply them. I saw one boy come in a football strip including shorts and was let in.

Overall we enjoyed our cruise despite the problems, albeit not as much as last year and we are on the Grand in September and hope that all the probems will have been sorted out by then.

It was nice meeting up with the few Cruise Critic members that showed and I wish everybody well what ever cruising and ships you sail on.

rmtman