Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by scuba365

Cruise Date: May 2010
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: BB
See More About: Norwegian Jade Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Budget Cruise Line & Dissapointing
My husband and I had a balcony cabin on deck 10. Smallest cabin of any cruise I've experienced in over 30 years of cruising. Beds were very comfortable, very little room to get around double bed, not much storage room for clothing & other belongings, and balcony very small. Bathroom very small but did like the glass door on the shower. No toiletreis except one bottle of Elemis body lotion, shower gel & shampoo were in dispenser in the shower, and towels were very old and tattered. Coffee maker in room was dirty, steward had not dusted or cleaned mirrors in the cabin.

Ship: was advertised on NCL's website as being the Norwegian Jade, which I looked up the deck plans at time of booking. The ship had the Norwegin Jade painted onthe exterior, but a plaque found in ship stated it was the Pride of Hawaii and ship was decorated in floral/Hawaiian theme throughout. Certaintly not the deck plan of the Jade!

Embarkation: Very organized, baggage checked as we exited our cab, lines moved along, went thru x-ray within 5 minutes, then waited in line no more than 20 minutes. Very nice terminal in Barcelona with a few stores, Bottled water for sale/ 6- 2 liter bottles for 8 euros which we carred on board/ less expensive than bottled water on the ship which charged $27 for 6 smaller bottles.

The "Jade" was very tired looking but clean. The buffet was always very crowded in the morning and afternoons. Lowest quality of food I've had on any cruise; frozen pancakes, waffles, dried out bread, fruit was not ripe & no bananas to be found unless they were bright green. I ate oatmeal and yogurt every morning. Bad coffee and fruit juices tasted like they were mixed with Kool-aid?

Restaurants: very little wait if any for 2 people. We liked the Alcazar dining room best, we had 1 dinner in the Tex-mex restaurant which had additional charge of $10 ppn; food was horrible/ my husband ordered a beef burrito- square with only 1 piece of beef and not fresh and my meal was bland.

Crew and Staff were not friendly. Upon leaving & boarding the ship, no smiles or greetings from the staff?? Wait service was O.K., no personal attention. Hardly saw the room steward.

Lifeboat drill was a JOKE! We were told not to take our life jackets with us to muster, no muster stations were assigned/ not told which life boat to get in?? Just instructed to go to the theater and were shown how to put on life jacket. I'm sure this is against Maritime law.

Publication Date: 05/25/10