Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by shamrock2

Member Name: shamrock2
Cruise Date: September 2004
Destination: Cruise to Nowhere
Cabin Category: C
See More About: Caribbean Princess Cruise Reviews | Cruise to Nowhere Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Caribbean Princess - Cruise to Nowhere
Our HONEYMOON trip was on September 11-18th (CP was supposed to be to the Western Caribbean). The day before the voyage, Princess still had no clue what they were going to do (neither did my travel agent). They finally gave word that we were rescheduled for Eastern Caribbean due to the hurricane.

Embarkation was very quick (onboard within an hour). The ship was beautiful, big, and clean.

We had a balcony stateroom on the Caribe deck. The stateroom was small, but did have a huge balcony (half covered/half not). Closet was decent size with plenty of hangers. Shower was super small.

Fours pools (I think)....two for adults, one pool with the giant sized movie screen which played day and night (more for the kids), and another pool that had an awesome reggae band and many fun pool games. Many bars and lounge areas around the ship. A cigar bar which blew because they tried to make it too upscale and had CNN playing all day (how about some other channels like ESPN???) A casino that was very nice and had friendly dealers and many different games to play (even though we saw no one win and we were in there three nights). Horse racing and bingo every day which was exciting (participants of all ages which was surprising).

Did not see any of the shows but did go to Skywalkers and the DJ was horrible. If you like Madonna and Michael Jackson all night long you will love this club...that's all we heard!

Gym and fitness center was pretty neat...had lots of treadmills and weights and a complimentary water fountain (wow, thanks Princess!) Wife said her massage, 80 minute deep tissue was great, although very pricey ($165 with tip included on a sea day).

I never saw any trash on the ground and always wait staff to pick up which was important to my wife and myself. The service all around the ship was outstanding! Whether it was getting a drink at the bar, eating in the dining room, room service, or any other aspect we never had bad service. The dining room wait staff (including the specialty restaurants was fantastic).

Buffets were gross! Very little selection for breakfast and lunch! Didn't even have juices for breakfast....water, milk, coffee and tea only. Lunch and dinners in the dining rooms were average...Sabatinis' is really good (17 course meal)! no kiddin!

If you go on this cruise and have a balcony, you must do the balcony dinner for $50/person. Now I know why they don't advertise this special dinner.......they would have everyone wanting to do this. They will only do two a night and you must give room service 24 hours. My wife (then fiance) and I were served a five course meal including crab cakes, filet mignon and about a 1 1/2 pound lobster (I didn't think they made them this big either). They also included a photographer who came out and took complimentary pictures, a bottle of champagne, and a honeymoon chocolate cake. It was phenomenal and a must if you are celebrating a special occasion.

Must also see the Movies under the Stars (but get there early at least 1/2 hour and reserve tickets as soon as you get on the ship). It sells out every night!

Despite the unbelievable service, I will never ever take Princess Cruises again. They have no idea what they are doing when it comes to taking care of their guests. We were originally booked for Western Caribbean (Princess Cays, Ochos Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel). Guess what we got because of the hurricane????.........Montego Bay (absolutely disgusting) and Nassau (not much better). Our trip was changed three times! We went to Jamaica (which we should never have been at in the first place....the beaches were a disaster area and three shore excursions were offered and sold out in ten minutes. These were both horrible ports and would not recommend them. So instead of getting four good ports we got two ports....and as a consideration or comp the passengers received absolutely nothing......not even a free drink or bottle of wine......completely unacceptable in my book. There were so many complaints and a line at the Purser's deck out the door.....Princess reasoning for not comping was that they have a right to change ports at any time and it says that on the contract. We had entirely too much time at sea. We were dying to get off the ship (there is only so much time I can spend by the pool and in the casino and same shows night in and night out). I feel Princess was very cheap for not offering the guest anything for the inconveniences. I would definitely try another cruise line in the future before another Princess Cruise!

Publication Date: 10/02/04