Carnival Glory Cruise Review by lovemylakedogs

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Glory Cruise Review by lovemylakedogs
Carnival Glory
Carnival Glory
Member Name: lovemylakedogs
Cruise Date: May 2010

Glory
We've cruised 4 times. Professionals with no children so we choose to not cruise during holidays or school breaks ever again. Carnival Jubilee - Western Caribbean Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas - Western Caribbean - Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel NCL Spirit - Western Caribbean - Costa Maya, Belize, Guatamala, Cozumel Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean - Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, San Juan, St. Thomas

After the Jubilee experience, we had pretty much decided cruising wasn't for us. A couple of years later one of our friends convinced us to try another cruise line and we enjoyed the Rhapsody and cruising became an option for our vacations again. We pretty much pick our cruises by ports, departure ports and then price so when we were looking for a good getaway, the Carnival Glory fit the bill and we decided to give Carnival another try.

I do agree with some of the others on their reviews. The Carnival Glory is not a luxury ship, but it is a pleasant, clean, decent vacation value with good ports. If you want luxury, you should go on a cruise with luxury pricing.

On/Off Ship: Getting on: Very easy. It was very organized getting on. We took our two bottles of wine and two 12 packs of cokes and had no problems. We got to Miami early so we had to wait, but once they called us, it was fast and easy. Getting off: Not quite as organized, but we do self assist and we were almost the first ones off. Customs was a quick painless process and we took a shuttle back to the airport for $10 a person. I would say that Miami has this process down.

Cabin: By far the "nicest" cabin size wise of any of the boats we've been on. I don't like the way Carnival has their balcony doors and they are hard to open. The beds/pillows were horrible and that was the consensus of the people at our table and others we met. The cabin stewards, however, did a great job and kept the room very clean and clean towels were always being put out.

Food: I'm not a foodie so it was okay. I don't think it was great, but it was decent and plentiful. I thought the spa menu was pretty good most nights in the main dining room and the diet desserts were not bad either. I was happy that I had some "healthy" choices. There was always something on the menu that was a good choice so no complaints from us on the food.

General: We thought the sea days lacked activities. There were the standard Man's Chest Contest (boring), Miss Glory (really boring), Spa Seminars (buy something from us), and Trivia Games, but overall it was quite inadequate. On other cruises we've been on we had a better, more varied options and lots more choices. This only had one every few hours and there were gaps in between that left you with a lag time. We never saw the Cruise Director out amongst the cruisers for the entire week. We saw the Asst. Cruise Director everywhere and thought he was much more accessible and entertaining. We were pretty annoyed to be offered so many "opportunities" to buy things: drinks, water, pictures whatever they were selling at the time. Not sure how the waiters are paid, but it sure seemed to be on how many drinks they sold. Also was pretty annoyed by the lack of enforcement on the no smoking locations. We had to move several times to get out of the way of inconsiderate smokers. If someone wants to smoke, that is their deal, but be considerate of those around you that don't and don't sit in a non-smoking area where the wind is blowing towards the non-smokers. Lastly, the word "chair hog" has an all new meaning on this ship. On sea days, you really couldn't get a chair anywhere near the pool if you didn't take your stuff out early. I just don't think it is right that they don't enforce their policies. Chairs would be "reserved" all day and there would be no people anywhere in sight for hours. I really feel like we roll with the flow, but it is still pretty annoying to not be able to sit in a decent area if you are following the rules and those that don't reap the rewards. I realize we could have said something, but we were on vacation and it just wasn't really worth the confrontation. As I said earlier, we tried to roll with it and not worry about the minor details.

All in all, the Glory was a good ship. It was in great shape. The crew/staff were attentive (with the exception of the Cruise Director). Everyone was pretty friendly and seemed to want to do a good job. They kept it really clean. The evening entertainment was sometimes cheesy, but it was enjoyable. The comedy club comics were really funny. There was no action in the bars that we could see so we usually called it a night around 10:00-11:00. There didn't seem to be a whole lot going on after that. I would recommend the Glory and the Eastern Caribbean cruise to my friends. We had a great time and the details of annoyances I shared above were just that . . . annoyances. As I said earlier, you just have to roll with the flow on vacation and not let the little things get in the way of a good time.

Publication Date: 05/19/10