Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review by Bunnygal: Mother's Day cruise with moms and daughters

Bunnygal
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Carnival Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruises

Mother's Day cruise with moms and daughters

Sail Date: May 2010
Embarkation: Mobile

Background - this is my 7th cruise (6th on Carnival) traveling with my cousin who was my cabin mate and our mothers who shared an ocean view on the upper deck. We were on Riviera in an inside cabin. We are in our mid 40's with our mom's who are in their 60's.

Embarkation - We drove from central IL to Mobile the day before and stayed at a Comfort Inn about 100 miles north the night before. The drive was uneventful and I was thankful that it was an option (about 13 hour drive). Embarkation in Mobile was the worst and best experience I have ever had. The port there is ridiculous with the entry being just a few feet from the main road thus we waited in a long line starting at 11:30 down side streets for over an hour. Once we actually got to the port terminal it was a breeze. Entry is on the bottom floor of the parking garage so we dropped off the luggage, parked and headed inside. It only took about 5 minutes to pick up our keys, get our photo taken and be on the ship. Our room More was available at 1:30, but our luggage did not arrive until after 6PM.

Food was your typical Carnival fare and the menu was exactly the same as it was when my husband and I cruised the year before. I am a picky eater and don't do fish and seafood so a few nights I got the vegetarian entree and it was pretty good. I do not recommend getting the veggie lasagna unless you LOVE spinach. My mom and I ordered it and scraped most of the spinach out of the layers and had (not kidding) over 3 cups of cooked spinach in our bowl along side the lasagna which still had spinach in it. No other veggies - just spinach. The deli in the back of the lido deck buffet was good as well as the pizza. The grill items and the Mongolian side are definitely the best choices at lunch time. The other stuff seems primarily over cooked or leftover from the night before. Desserts were usually pretty good and of course - you can always get ice cream.

Entertainment was great. We loved having John Heald as our cruise director he did a wonderful job as well as Amy, Calvin, Luke and the rest of the staff. Luke used to be Dina from Housewives of New Jersey's personal assistant so he got a lot of questions about the show and was kind enough to answer them. According to him, Danielle is just as nasty in person as she is shown to be on television. The universal lounge balcony is HORRIBLE. Do not think about watching anything from up there. The pitch between the seats is not staggered so you can see beyond the back of the person's head in front of you. Unless you are in the first row or standing, you miss everything. Seats on the main floor are saved over 30 minutes before a show starts so it messes up your night if you want to attend something and actually see. Less

Read more Carnival Fantasy cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Fantasy Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Fantasy Interior Riviera R15

U237 - our mom's cabin was horrible. It was as far back as you can get next to the steward closet. They had a lot of noise from the closet area as stewards grabbed things etc. and tons of vibration from being at the back of the ship. It was always noisy and a lot of rockin when we were back there. R15 - our cabin was in a great location for movement. We had a slight rolling during rough seas and nothing that made us feel sick. It was quiet and we were just one floor up from where the gangplank was to get off in Cozumel and Jamaica. It is on the opposite end of the ship as the food so you can get a little exercise as you head for that late night ice cream cone.

Cozumel - same ole same ole for anyone who has ever been. Many shops are right off the pier if you don't choose to go anywhere. Taxi's are safe to take and are readily available if you want to explore the island. We opted to spend the majority of our time on board and LOVED it. I have never done this before and appreciated having a pool to ourselves and great weather. It was really hot so an hour shopping was enough for me.

Read 3142 Cozumel Reviews

Grand Cayman - lots of wind so our Hell, Turtle and Stingray tour was just Hell and the Turtles. The authorities closed down the stingray tours for that entire week due to rough seas. I was disappointed primarily for my cousin who had never gone before - it would have been my third trip. Hell definitely can be dropped off the list of things to do unless you have a great desire to get a post card and send it to someone. It will be post marked Hell. The turtles were fun, but we spent 20 minutes in a guided tour and had 20 minutes on our own. We were told we were being given additional time since we weren't swimming with the rays. The turtle farm is really small and doable in that amount of time, but for $40 each a bit pricey.

Jamaica - we did the Margaritaville excursion with our moms. The water was absolutely wonderful there and beach was great. It included lunch and we were there for about 3 hours. The guide did a great job on our way to the beach pointing out things and sharing info about Jamaica. Food was good, but was supposed to be pizza, veggie burger or jerk chicken. The only thing we were served was rice/beans, cole slaw and jerk chicken. The sides mentioned also weren't on the buffet. Not a big deal, but since I don't eat jerk chicken, cole slaw or beans with rice, I was a tad hungry after lunch.