Carnival Elation Cruise Review by beshears: Final days for Elation cruising from San Diego

beshears
Member Since 2006
2,140 Posts

Compare Prices on Carnival Elation Mexican Riviera Cruises

Final days for Elation cruising from San Diego

Sail Date: April 2010
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: San Diego

My friend and I left on April 19th for a 4 day cruise To Catalina Island and Ensenada, Mexico. We really didn't know what to expect, other than I had been on CC forum and had talked/ask questions of these two ports, which neither of us had visited before.

When we arrive (we flew in directly from Kansas City, Missouri), we found our transportation, and they took us to the cruise ship, which is probably within 10 - 15 minutes of the ship. In San Diego it was 75 degrees, but from then on the weather changed to rain/wind/COLD. (Please see Ensenada, Mexico for when we went back to San Diego before we went home.) I had already filled out our Fun Pass, so that helped us get through everything much smoother, and able to get to our rooms. We thought we might have to go to the Lido deck, but by 1:30 (I believe it was) our room was ready. We had a window and the room seemed spacious enough for what we had. I will say since the Elation is an older ship, and maybe because we were only More doing 4 nights, it seemed like the room was missing a few things that I was used to having on the longer trips, but that was OK. We had a vault, which I definitely wanted, as well as the TV, but we didn't have a small refrigerator, which I think some of the other ships I have been on may have had. The bathroom was a nice size with the amenities that come, but there was not a hair blower, but that was OK, as my friend brought that, and I brought the curling iron. I really love our beds/bedding as I feel like a baby when I put the comforter on me. Really warm and light. Before I forget, do no bring an iron with you if you need to press your clothes. There is a laundry room where you can was/dry your clothes for a certain price or coins. The iron is free as far as I know, or it was when I used it a year or two ago.

The ship (I like more vibrant colors) was in browns/coppers, and it was kept real clean for an older ship.

Our table (seating of 10) had Vince and his helper attending to us in the dining room. They always kept me in HOT tea, which I had requested, and NO ice in my water. We had the 8:15 seating as that didn't rush us to have to be at dinner so early, or leaving a port that we were vising to get to dinner in time. We were pleased with the food, and if there was something that we didn't like or want, we could ask, and they would try to get us something else on the menu for that night. Flying in to San Diego, we met a lot of people from California, where they didn't have to pay to fly in like us.

If you like to save money, they still have the $10 store, mainly for ladies, but they have some good buys that I have been pleased with down through the years.

Since the weather was so windy/cold we played miniature golf, but there were few at the pools.

We did go to the theatre and seen the Newlywed Game, which was very good. There was always something to see/do if you wanted to on the ship. Less

Read more Carnival Elation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Elation Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Elation U144

Look above. Our room was fine for what we paid.

We arrived in Catalina Island, and seen the most beautiful rainbow, but asking others, they never seen it. I was able to get some good pictures from our window of it.

We took the tender to CA, but coming back it was very rough, and wondered if we were going to get back to the ship.

While on the island we rented a golf cart for $40 for an hour. If you decide to do this, make sure you do it within the hour, as you put down a "deposit" of $40 first, and will get it back, unless you are over 1 hour, then they prorate the time. They give you a map, but because it was so cold/windy, we just did our thing. We walked too, and seen some beautiful area, but it was hard to do as we were cold and wanted to get back to "warmth." If the sun had been shining, it would have been beautiful there. There are beautiful flower to see along the path if you wish to walk it to the Casino, which is a museum.

We arrived in Ensenada, and decided to hire a Taxi to take us to the "top" of the mountains or Ensenada to see the view that others see where we are at the lowest part when we arrive. If you hire a Taxi, always ask first how much they will charge? We hired one for an hour and he took us to the top and we see millionaire homes, then he took us to the poor area also. It was raining, so it made it harder to see/do, but that was OK. He actually was burning rubber while climbing the hills as they are so steep. He took us to town, and we had REAL Mexico food which was good. He also told us about a bakery which we went to. Here in the USA, I would probably have paid $20 for food, and I only paid less than $4 for the pastries that I got. The best part....I was able to bargain with the people on the street, and brought back some nice jewelry.

This doesn't have to do with Ensenada, but we went back to San Diego and decided to do public transportation (bus/trolley) to Old Town. What an experience that was. Actually it was funny at time, watching people on the bus/trolley of what they were doing. We didn't get to see much of Old Town, but you can get the bus in front of the ship or airport.

Read 249 Ensenada Reviews