Emerald Princess Cruise Review by emwhydee

Emerald Princess
Member Name: emwhydee
Cruise Date: April 2010
Cabin Number: D120
See More About: Emerald Princess Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+

Ship Facts: Emerald Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Emerald Princess Deck Plans
Emerald Princess - Eastern Caribbean
We cruised out of FLL doing the Eastern Caribbean. The embarkation was fast. We spent Saturday at the Embassy Suites which was fine (we asked for a late checkout) and they shuttled us over to the ship. We got there about 12:30 and in our room by 1:30. It did take a while for our luggage to get there so carry on some stuff if you want to get right to the pool. It was a little choppy the first couple of nights and our mini suite was towards the front of the ship. I wore a patch for the whole cruise. As another reviewer said, the cabin is a little narrow but the balcony was just fine and the bed was comfortable w/o any egg crate topping. Try to get the white towels that are striped in your room and ask for extra towels. They are larger than the plain white towels. Turn down service at night was nice with the chocolate on the bed.

Food--We ate at the Crown Grill the first night which was just fair. I had the lamb and my travel mate had the pork. It could have been more flavorful. I would not recommend this place. We also ate at Sabatini's. The meal took 2 1/2 hours and could have been done quicker. The food again was okay. Not as flavorful as I would have expected and when we ordered the soup, we threw the whole rhythm of the dinner off. I would not go out of my way to eat there either. We also did the $25.00 wine tasting. The appetizers were quite good but for the money, I thought it wasn't worth it. They had another wine tasting that was $10 and we should have done that one. We had anytime dining but only ate one night in the restaurant. The food was actually quite good there. Most of the time we ate at the buffet and the food was good. Not that well seasoned but I guess they are serving for the masses.

Drinks--Water is not free in the cabin. In the restaurant iced tea and water are the only ones that are free. Alcoholic beverage prices go down to $3.00 after 10:00 p.m. The drinks are not very strong so if you like to drink like we did, wait until 10:00 and drink up.

Entertainment--We saw all the shows and loved them. The comedians were so funny. Kevin Hughes was great and even their staged shows were entertaining. The theater is large enough and there isn't a bad seat to be had. The bands and singers are quite good. I would rate that part of the cruise outstanding. I also played Bingo which was expensive and I didn't win but I had fun so I would do that again.

Ports--this is a beach and shopping cruise. If you like to shop and sit on the beach, this is your cruise. Not much else to do. We toured St Martin with Bernard Tours and it was a nice day. The topless beach was entertaining to say the least. Princess Cays and Grand Turk are strictly cruise stops which means a beach and some shopping and not much else at least for us. I did buy a ring which I love. You need to bargain the prices. Liz, the cruise shopper was great. She picked up my ring after it was sized and a necklace repair, delivered it to my room and wouldn't take a tip. Great service there.

All in all, it was a good cruise but I thought the ports weren't as interesting as they could have been. If you want more info, contact me at emwhydee@cox.net and I will be happy to share.

Disembarkation--I paid the $20 for the EZ check. It was perfect. They picked up my luggage the night before and I didn't see it again until I landed in Phoenix. It worked out great because my flight wasn't until 5:15 and they won't let you check in bags until 3 hours before the flight. If you have an early flight, not to worry. We were off the boat and at the airport by 9:30. Not fun to spend all those hours in the airport but at least I didn't have my bags to lug around.

Publication Date: 05/14/10