Carnival Dream Cruise Review by PopsicleBB

Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+

A DREAM COME TRUE
05/01/2010-05/08/2010

This was my first cruise and my boyfriend's third cruise. The ship is breath taking. It is HUGE and can be quite confusing the first couple days. Our room was incredible. Plenty of closet space, a couch/table area, a big comfy bed, a vanity area which I didn't even need because we had two bathrooms!! ((From talking with others, not everyone did)) From the TV in our room, you can view your 'sail and sign' card account. We did have two charges for $70.00 each that we were unaware of. When I called guest services she explained that it was gratuity added for housekeeping, servers/table cleaners on Lido Deck, and room service. It is $10.00 per day per person which is completely understandable, just wish we would have been aware of the charge prior to them charging us $140.00. But since we were charged for room service, we figured we should take advantage of it! We ordered room service for dinner one night- everything was delicious they just forgot a couple of my boyfriends condiments- not a big deal. Our housekeeper was amazing...always engaging in conversation with us about activities we were doing and making sure everything in our room was okay. Which it was always exceptional.

The food on the ship was great. Yes, there was lines at "The Gathering" but it is a buffet, what do you expect? Our dinners in Scarlet Lounge were exceptional. Our servers were wonderful and sweet! We ate so much food, but walked so much, we maintained our weight! We went to the gym one day... but it was so small I had to wait for a treadmill and my boyfriend could barely lift weights as he kept hitting the ceiling. We ended up running the track on the back end of the ship the rest of the cruise. We really liked and enjoyed the track. We were disappointed that we somehow missed the fact it was Captains Night. We attended the dinner, and two other couples we sat with didn't know it was Captains Night either. The following day, we were looking at the professional pictures and saw the heading "CAPTAINS NIGHT" and realized we missed it...not the dinner but the entire fact that it was Captains Night. On our "FUN TIMES" all it said was "Elegant Night" which they have 2 of. Not sure if we missed the announcement as it was difficult to hear anyone talking on the intercom.

We played mini golf a couple of times and it was never too busy. We went down the slides which were both very fun, the pools were small but very refreshing. They have tons of hottubs which people were in during the day. We couldn't bring ourselves to get into a hottub while we were sweating. We planned to go into the hottub our last night on the ship... but they were all closed and being cleaned for the next cruise....BUMMER!

We did lose Air Conditioning one of the nights. I woke up thinking my boyfriend had turned on the heat by accident. When I opened the door the the hallway, I realized the entire ship was HOT and HUMID! I called Guest Services and she said they just fixed it and it was up and running again. The ship cooled down in no time. When we came went back to the room later that night, there was a letter in our mailbox apologizing for any inconvenience.

The ship does rock and sway a lot. The faster you go, the more you rock back and forth. My boyfriend has never been on a ship where you can feel it swaying as much as this one. But the ship goes the fastest at night, so we slept through most of it.

The ship sewer smell that everyone is talking about...yes it is there! Our room was on first deck which they say you can smell it the most on first and second deck. The smell is definitely there...but I'm not going to let it ruin my DREAM vacation!

Even though we weren't aware about the $140.00 gratuity charge, my boyfriend missing a few condiments, the gym being to small, not being aware it was Captains Night, missing out on going in the hottub, losing AC, the ship rocking back and forth, sewer smell, not seeing monkey's, and not liking Belize... this was a Dream come true! These things are small negatives compared to the actual experience and service you get! I want to try a Royal Carribbean cruise but we will definitely be cruising Carnival many more times!

Publication Date: 05/13/10