Grand Princess Cruise Review by nanigoogoo

Grand Princess
Member Name: nanigoogoo
Cruise Date: April 2009
Destination: Transatlantic
See More About: Grand Princess Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Rates 5+

Ship Facts: Grand Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Grand Princess Deck Plans
A MIXED BAG
This is the second time on the Grand Princess. We sailed on her 11 years ago. I was not happy with the shelf space then and it still hasn't changed. Luckily I was prepared for this and packed appropriately. The room size and bathroom is adequate, but compared to other ships I'd give it a C+. The room steward was fantastic! Our room was always taken care of and he was pleasant and understood us and I needed ice in the room and he made sure it was there...

The crew members were very friendly, the waiter and assistant waiter were phenomenal...the food was the best and so were the desserts. What I liked was that you plate was not filled with food you couldn't eat nor was it too little an amount.

Unfortunately, our crossing was grey and cold and there could have been better alternative entertainment for the passengers aside from first run movies...The TV was awful...there are plenty of old release movies that people would have enjoyed too... The internet was extremely unresponsive. Andrea, the internet manager was very helpful. The internet was supposed to be in all public areas and that was not so. The Computer teacher, Rachael, was fantastic and helpful...On other cruise lines this is free...but Rachael was worth every penny!

The ports were fabulous and we used alternative excursions and did very well with them...I would stay far away from any cruise line's excursions....too pricey...You do take the chance of being left in port if you don't return on time, but its worth the little worry if you take your time and choose your guides...

This time my husband and I came down with upper respiratory tract infections toward the end of the cruise. No fever...totally viral. Unfortunately, it is still hanging on and has made us both quite ill...There were very few hand sanitizers that I saw, but this is airbourne so I doubt they would have helped. Norovirus is more touching a place where the virus was deposited...

Getting off the ship was a horrible experience for someone who not handicapped, but when someone (and I saw many) is in a wheelchair and unable to assist themselves its a double horror. Then add into the mix people who did not know which airline terminal they were supposed to go to...No one explained to them that once they got off the ship, they needed to know this information. This made things even worse, not to mention that the ship just kept on letting people off and making the situation worse...no one was communicating with anyone...I would give the disembarkation an F----...a BIG F!

The Grand Princess needs to be refurbished and the social directors need to direct...there wasn't any...a pity...Oh and the photography is getting expensive everywhere...make sure you have your own good camera...

Publication Date: 05/13/10
Read the Transatlantic ports review by nanigoogoo
More Grand Princess Cruise Reviews