Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by sunshine221: A Friendly Crew and Great Traveling Companions

sunshine221
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Mexican Riviera Cruises

A Friendly Crew and Great Traveling Companions

Sail Date: May 2010
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

I started on this cruise a little skeptical. It's our fifth Carnival Cruise, sixth overall and while we've always had a great time, these ports didn't interest me as much and on our last cruise some of the on ship activities started to be "old routine." We picked this cruise because of the dates and because we wanted "something different" than the Carribean.

Well, we had a great time. We met some of the nicest people of any cruise. Our dinner-mates matched out age and interests pretty well and activities were well attended. Someone said that average age was 55, but frankly it seemed well distributed between people in the 20's, 30's 40's 50's 60's 70's and 80's.

Even though there were 3500 guests, there was never a crowd except for the chocolate buffet which could have used additional lines.

We splurged on the thermal spa package. This included the use of a special hot tub and steam room areas. It was nice, very "serene". I don't know if it was worth the More money but actually I probably would purchase it again. I had a seaweed massage which was very nice but not worth the money and I would probably not do it again.

Carnival tells you not to arrive in Long Beach until 2pm. I believe that people did get on board as early as 11:30. We arrived about 1:30 and the line was very long but ultimately moved ok. The only problem on disembarkation was that they said there would be announcements for self-assist and it seemed that most people just went down so they never made the announcements until they made one "final" announcement for all self-assist.

We took advantage purchasing their discount coupons for a future sailing and we did book our next cruise for a year from now while on-board.

Internet service, which is important to us, was good. We had a good signal in our stateroom.

All in all it was an enjoyable trip. The on-deck temperature was a little cooler than expected, but all in all it was a smooth trip, just a little chop on the last day going full speed back to Long Beach. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Balcony Empress 7362

Our cabin was a balcony cabin - midship on 7. We love that location. Convenient to go up or down (we take stairs) and we heard very little outside noise. We've been on 8 below the Lido deck a few times and there we hear the deck chairs being put out in the morning, etc. The biggest negative was that there was only one american and one european electrical outlet and we brought two computers and two cell phones that need electric/charging.

We did the Cabo by Land and Sea tour. We spent 45 minutes on a boat getting close to the arches at the point of the penisula. Actually we had a good view of them from the boat and if I had known that I might have picked something else but it was still fun. Then we boarded buses. We stopped at a glass factory which I enjoyed because I am a glass scientist by training. I purchased a few items there. Then we stopped at a restaurant for a drink and a few of the area. Then we went to the next town and visited their town square, of course for shopping. It was a little more upscale than the other stops, we saw some nice art work and the mission church. We then stopped at a cactus garden before returning to the ship. Since we had to take tendors and since this tour did not include lunch we headed straight back to the ship.

We choose the a bus trip to Colonial Sierra Madre. It was a bus trip that stopped at several local "factories" - a family hand brick factory, a bakery, a tile shop and a furniture shop. At each of them they were asking for tips and purchases. Then we went into the mountains to an old mining town. The town appears to have been "taken over" by Americans who live there and "help" the locals. There were two restaurants and it seemed that there were signs pointing to a hotel. It was very pretty. The Americans (from the US) help the locals with their crafts and sell them to make a living. The lunch was very very good. We then drove back to the ship. I did buy one of their necklaces made of local seeds.

At the flea market near the ship the merchants were a lot less pushy and I purchased a sun dress - they did "negotiate" the price.

This was a nice excursion to see the history of the people of the region.

Read 290 Mazatlan Reviews

We selected the Jeep 4x4 and Beach excursion. We traveled to a town which seemed just to travel off-road. It was literally a pitstop and there were kids trying to sell us trinkets. Then we went to a tequllia factory where we had a tasting and lunch. It was good but the tequilla seemed expensive. Then we went to the beach. We were at a bar and had access to the water. The water was nice for a dip. Many vendors were harassing us with their wares. It was annoying.

We didn't spend any time at the shops in "town".

This was an ok excursion, I'd pick something else next time.