Carnival Legend Cruise Review by Top Shelf

Entertainment 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Honeymooning on the Legend!
We had such an amazing time! This is my 4th time cruising and my husband's 1st. I have to say that it was a very well run ship. We had chosen Carnival Legend for its price, itinerary, and the close proximity of the port (we live in Orlando, departed from Tampa). Perfect cure for post-wedding syndrome! It was great never having to worry about where/what to eat or having to clean for a week. So here it is in a nutshell:

Embarkation: Arrived at the port at 11:30am and there was already a line of people waiting. But the line went fast. Our rooms weren't ready until 1:30pm though, so we explored the ship and had lunch on the Lido deck.

Debarkation: Even easier. We opted for self check out and was off the ship by 8:30am.

The room: Cute and cozy :) We had an inside cabin on the lower deck, but we weren't in our room much, so it was sufficient for our needs. All that mattered to me was that it was kept tidy, and our room steward made sure of that. Plus, I liked being able to get in and out of the ship easily from here.

Staff: Very efficient and worked around the clock to clean, serve, and entertain. Always had smiles on their faces and greeted us warmly. Don't know how they do it day after day, but they did.

Food: I'm a big eater in a small frame, with much appreciation for food. The food was abundant and there was always an ample selection to choose from. Buffets on the Lido deck and the dining rooms were also open during certain times for breakfast and lunch also. I personally preferred the sit down dining room for breakfast and lunch opposed to the buffets on the Lido deck because it was less stressful than falling in line to get your meal and trying to find a seat. Lido deck was always full of people. We had early seating for dinner. Ordered double entrees for dinner most nights. Had pizza and burgers after every late show. Fresh sushi served from 5pm-8pm daily on the 3rd Floor, Atlantic Deck. Also note that there is a free drink night at the Farewell Party - check your schedule and drink up! We dressed to impress for the 2 formal nights on this ship; my husband wore his tux on these nights and I wore my favorite cocktail dresses...so fabulous! And you cannot pass up the Golden Fleece Steakhouse. Steaks are excellent quality, HUGE, and cooked exactly the way we ordered them! Seriously one of the best steaks I've ever had in my life. I had the NY Strip and my husband had the porterhouse. It also included your appetizers and desserts. The $30pp up-charge is nothing compared to what we would've paid at our local, fine dine steakhouse. Do it if you can!

Cleanliness: Our room steward cleaned twice a day, with nightly turn down service and Carnival's signature towel animals! The ship was immaculate; this coming from a person who likes everything super clean and notices the littlest things. The decor was festive and interesting.

Entertainment: There was always something to do and we were never bored. All events were fun-filled (living up to the Carnival name) with lots of audience participation. My husband is extremely shy, but he got up on stage to do the Latin dance class just to appease me. I also got to play Music Trivia and won a "Ship on a Stick". Many chances to play bingo and there were several lucky people on board. And we can't forget the Hairy Chest contest. Good times! The coordinators were all so entertaining and hilarious, especially Wee Jimmy the Cruise Director! We enjoyed the nightly Las Vegas style productions...dancers and singers were so talented. We also went down for the various comedy acts they had scheduled. Funny stuff!

Ports: We booked all our excursions through Carnival. I know that there are many people who book through outside companies, but we felt safer booking through them in case there were any incidents.

Grand Cayman - We did Snuba around a shipwreck which was fun. My husband also had a Cuban cigar and I had fresh coconut milk in the shell on this port. Be warned though...it is expensive here! After Snuba, we thought we'd have a quick bite to eat to taste the local cuisine and ended up paying $70 US dollars for 3 conch fritters, a sampler platter, and 2 drinks!! It is $1.25 Cayman dollars for every $1 US dollar. After that, I can't recommend this place for eating or shopping.

Cozumel - We visited Xcaret, which is a pristine natural waterpark. It is a 7hr excursion, so we did not have time to shop around the port or drink at the bar for some awesome margaritas...booo! Great place to spend your money here too...your dollars go a long way! Xcaret itself was beautiful. We took a guided tour through the park and saw animals and the butterfly garden. Then, we went floated down an underground river. At last, we got to eat and take in the breathtaking tropical views.

Isla Roatan - We took a beach day this day since there was not much else to do. The island was gorgeous, although still new and underdeveloped. We opted for the private cabana, which we loved. $200 (up to 4ppl and only 1 person has to purchase) gets you an air-conditioned cabana, semi private beach, a waiter, swim floats, and your own hammock and lounge chairs for the day. This was our splurge for our trip and we felt it was very well worth it.

Belize - This was my favorite port. We did the 3 in 1 tour of Belize City, Altun Ha Mayan Ruins, and River Wallace. This county is very rich in culture and we were fascinated by the ancient ruins. There is much to learn about the country's people and history. After visiting Altun Ha, there are little gift shops at the front where we bought most of our souvenirs all of which were handmade by the Belizian people. We had an UnBelizable time!!!

All in all, we had a great time. Can't wait to do it again!!

Publication Date: 05/10/10