Carnival Dream Cruise Review by sunny94

Cruise Date: May 2010
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: js

Carnival Dream Nightmare
Normally my husband and I cruise with Royal Caribbean 3 - 4 times per year. We are diamond members at RCCL. With all the hype about Carnival Dream we decided to try something different. We booked a Junior Suite on the Dream. It was a disappointing cruise for us - a total waste of money. When we booked this cruise we were told "ALL THE SUITES ARE ON DECK 7" repeatedly - what an absolute lie. There are suites on higher decks - if we were told there are only suites available on deck 7 at the time of booking - we could have dealt with that.

The following were a ship disappointment for us: 1. We were extremely upset with the balcony - we had people staring at us from the hot tub and they were loud. We paid money for a balcony but we did not get any privacy whatsoever. 2. The shower was very difficult to maneuver in - it was so tight my husband's shoulders were against the glass door and the shower handle inside. 3. The area to sit and put make-up on or blow dry my hair was very difficult to maneuver in as well - floor plan was bad. 4. The pools on the Dream are an absolute disappointment - they are so small and ugly. 5. I heard kids complaining the entire cruise that their backs hurt from going down the water slide because they could feel the rivets in the slide. 6. The air conditioning broke down on the ship. 7. There was a horrible sewer smell on the ship on a daily basis. 8. The big screen TV played Enya all day and constant re-runs and pictures of trees. 9. Also there are very few reminder announcements for "ANY" activities that are going on - if you want to be involved - good luck. 10. The few and far between the Captain spoke, he was hard to understand - actually it was hard to understand the announcements as it was not loud or clear enough. 11. The coffee machine was broken. 12. The lines for all three meals were horrific in the Lido Cafe. 13. The Theatre is so poorly designed. The first and only night I went to the theatre my knees were jammed against the short wall in front of me. 14. Most of the theater seats have bad view of the stage so everyone was getting to the theater about an hour plus prior to the show just to get the few good seats - all the way in the front.

The following were a crew disappointment to us: 1. I lost some of my luggage and needed to buy a woman's bathing suit. Went to the ship store and were told they do not sell ladies bathing suits. I was o.k. with that as it is what it is. However the sales lady's next breath, she only works there, not her problem - don't ask her why. 2. The Calypso band got sick the first three days and there was poor entertainment. 3. The servers behind the food counter were unfriendly, no smiles at all. The waiter staff looked like dawn of the dead. They were not interactive at all and looked like they were absolutely miserable. It was clear they did not want to be there as they offered no service at all other than clearing off tables. 4. I was almost knocked over by a wait staff person at the open deck pool bar. The wait staff person thought it was comical and then proceeded to speak with his colleague in another language while laughing. I was so upset. 5. My room attendant kept the room clean. However the few things I asked for like lotion or hair conditioner were always "no". He was responsible for 15 rooms so in fairness to him there was no time to offer the service I have grown accustomed to on Royal Caribbean - I guess. 6. During the week I saw many crew members dressed in all white uniforms or all blue formal uniforms and never once did one person say "hi", "smile" or engage us in any conversation. They all looked right through us and never stopped. 7. The Director of Activities left a lot to be desired as I never saw him interact with anyone on the pool deck. 8. I also spoke with a few of the staff in different areas and a couple outright told me they did not like the Dream ship and did not like working there.

This was our first and possibly last cruise on Carnival. My husband and I will go back to RCCL and will not recommend Carnival to anyone.

Publication Date: 05/10/10