Costa Atlantica Cruise Review by Wickford: Disaster!!!!

Wickford
Member Since 2010

Disaster!!!!

Sail Date: April 2010
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: Quebec City

Just returned from a Canadian/New England Cruise with Costa. Things just didn't go right. I have cruised many times, including on Costa. The route was what attracted me and of course the price. One gets what one pays for right! I was prepared for the multi languages, the European prepared food, but, not for the following.

1. Paying for everything in Euros including excursions. 2. Not having shore excursion tours exclusively for English speaking people. One day I was the only English speaking person on the entire bus, the rest were Italian. 3. Some tours I have booked where cancelled, I assume the number of participants were too low. North Americans were not prepared to pay for the excursions in Euros. Imagine not being able to tour in ones own country and be able to understand the tour guide all the time. 4. No Canadian TV channels even though we were in Canadian water, the only US channels were from Colorado. 4. As much as I was expecting food prepared with a European flare, More I was not prepared for the lack of variety on the buffet, the service in the dinner room wasn't up to usual cruise standards. Imagine being in the Maritime and New England and not being serviced lobster once! 5. Poorly planned custom clearance, lined up for over two hours right from the back of the ship to the front. Written directions given to Canadians on early tours were all wrong. 6. Unable to get a ship shuttle to the airport even though my flight didn't leave until 2:00 pm and we had been docked in New York the day before. Rather than paying $36. for a shuttle I paid a $90 taxi fare. It just seemed like North Americans were just there to fill up the ship and it didn't matter about the service they received as they were getting the cruise for a low cost. Cruise again most definitely, Costa Cruise I don't think so! Less

Read more Costa Atlantica cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Costa Atlantica Review >>

Cabin review: Costa Atlantica 6301

Your average inside cabin, exactly what you would expect to find. It was quiet and the steward was excellent. Bed was comfortable.

A very pretty beach town, make sure you take a ride in the the Acadia mountains, a beautiful view of the ocean, harbour, etc.

Ran out of spaces, Newport and New York were also worthwhile. A great way to see New York.

A big City but interesting if you like history, Paul Reeve, Harvard, and brownstone houses everywhere.

Read 217 Boston Reviews

Another nice place to visit. Lots of things in walking distance from the ship. The countryside and coast line is also very pretty. The Anne of Green Gables site was neat to see.

Again, lots to see right in the area of the Port. Although, the tours were informative, and Peggy's Cove worth seeing.

Read 338 Halifax Reviews

A wonderful city to visit, especially if you are interested in history, old buildings, etc. The dock is right beside Old Quebec City, and one can easily walk to many interesting places. Although, the all day tour was excellent as far as showing one the country side, etc. I will return there again someday.