Carnival Valor Cruise Review by 3crazymutts: All hail the Valor!

3crazymutts
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Valor Western Caribbean Cruises

All hail the Valor!

Sail Date: April 2010

I, of course, like others on here always wonder about the negative reviews...and wonder what am I getting myself into. Well there was no need for worry on our cruise on the Valor.

For starters, this was my third cruise and my husband's second. We were traveling with a couple, her second cruise, his first. I have previously sailed on the Sensation with said friend, and my husband and I have been on the Disney Wonder with the kids. This trip was for some adult fun without having to worry about the kids, or the expense of bringing them along. It was also for DH to see whether he would want to take the kids on a Carnival cruise. (he sort of became a snob after Disney). The answer was a resounding YES after day one on board, in fact we did book another for early next year with the whole family, and additionally purchased to future cruise certificates.

Embarkation was ok, but I expect crowds and chaos. The only thing I think Carnival could do better here is move the More kiosks away from the area where you pick up your sign and sail cards. The line for the cards was wrapping in front of kiosks and guests were getting confused. The Carnival lady was nice, but guests in line to use the kiosks had to cut through the line for the sign and sail cards. Overall, I think that is my only complaint of the whole trip.

The boat is beautiful, I love the American theme...it was why we chose this vessel. Staff kept it clean, we always saw somebody, somewhere cleaning. The staff was also courteous and friendly, but I always make it to a point to acknowledge them, whether it is a "good morning", "good evening" etc, or just a smile. These people work hard...the least guests can do is notice them and say hi. Lines were never an issue, but we tend to zig when others zag.

Ports and shore excursions were great. We did the Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman, Discover Scuba with Anthony's Key in Isla Roatan (Bisch, the instructor was great!) Snorkeling at Goff's Caye in Belize, ATV adventure in the morning at Cozumel and Fly High zip line in the afternoon. All the operators running the excursions were first rate, friendly and accommodating. While I forgot to tell the shore excursion desk this, my intent is to write Carnival a letter about our experiences. So often people only write negative and forget to share the positive. If you have a positive, SHARE IT!!! I don't want to hear negativity all the time...especially from people who generally have unrealistic expectations!

The last day at sea was nice...the drinks were strong! :) I highly recommend a "kiss on the lips"! It was a good time to just relax and enjoy our last day of vacation.

Debarkation was fine, we did the self debark. I believe we were off the boat by 8:10, and at the Fort Lauderdale airport by 8:45.

All in all, I think Carnival offers a good value for the dollar. We had a great time on this ship, as did our friends...including the first time cruiser with us that said it was the best trip he had ever had. Less

Read more Carnival Valor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Valor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Valor Balcony Lido 9234

Cabin 9234 - no issues, quiet, comfortable, spacious. Only issue, we put some decorations on our door (magnets) and somebody stole them. That isn't Carnival's fault. That is just stupid, ignorant people. If it doesn't belong to you DON'T TAKE IT.

Didn't actually get to the port, as our excursion was at Goff's Caye and the boat picked us up at the ship. Beautiful, tiny little island. The snorkeling was good, saw a ray, sea cucumber and lots of fish. I can't rate the port itself because we just stayed on the ship after the excursion. Friends did the horseback riding and enjoyed themselves.

FUN! Would have liked a bit more time to check out the shops in port. But with two shore excursions, we only had a little bit of time.

Read 3102 Cozumel Reviews

Turtles, Turtles and More Turtles Deluxe was a ton of fun. Those sea turtles are really cool.

The line to get back on the ship was LONG. Most waiting were friendly, but you always have the few whiners you would like to slap. I mean really?

(5.5)
Clearly a new port facility. Everything is sparkly new. Great shopping at Mahogany Bay. Anthony's Key resort is beautiful. Would love to come visit again in about 10 years to see how it will have changed.

Read 1645 Roatan Reviews