Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by Michigandergrl: Freedom from reality

Entertainment Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Western Caribbean Cruises

Freedom from reality

Sail Date: April 2010

We flew into FLL the day before and stayed at the Hyatt Place North. We had to wait about a half hour for the hotel shuttle to pick us up but we didn't mind, it was a very busy port day with Oasis going out. Once we arrived at the hotel (around 1pm) we decided to store our bags in the locked waiting room and head to the beach because our room wasn't ready. We took the trolley from the Harbor Shops Mall across the street for $.50 each, what a deal. We just did some people watching (yikes) at the local bars along the strip and a little shopping and headed back to the hotel around 4pm when our room was ready. We headed to dinner, after getting settled, to the Southport Raw Bar - great food and right on the waterway. Also a note - you have to sign up at the hotel around 3pm or so for the shuttle the next day to the port. We signed up for the 10:30 time slot. Everyone at the hotel and the hotel was great, I'd stay there again in a minute. Very close to everything too.

Embarkation More - arrived at the port around 11:00am. There was a line but it went pretty fast. We had to wait in a waiting room for about a half hour before they started calling numbers, we had 8 so it took a little while. I did notice the line was getting longer behind us so I'm glad we went early. Once on the ship it seems like everyone was on the lido deck and it was also raining. We were able to get a table outside under the overhang on lido and proceeded to fight our way through to the food lines. I decided I would drink a couple DOD's first and it would make the fight more enjoyable. Our room was ready right at 1:30pm. By this time it was pouring so it gave us a chance to get our stuff put away and enjoy the room and balcony for a while. That's one thing about beer, it tastes good no matter where you're at or what the weather's like. Muster drill was pretty painless and we headed to our meet & greet with the CC members. Everyone was so nice and it was great meeting everyone. We had about at hour and half delay setting sail due to the weather but before we knew it we were on our way. Yeah!

Sea days were just wonderful. I have to say, this is the calmest I have seen the seas. Our guides in Grand Cayman said that it usually means bad weather is coming. After the first day we never had another bad day. The only gripe I have is the chair hogs, they were out in full force so we just hung out on the 10th deck and usually could find a chair. We didn't have our kids with us either so we really didn't want to be around where they were anyway.

The food was outstanding, once again. We had anytime dining and usually went to dinner between 6:30 and 7:30. We never had to wait for a table and had the same server (Genesis) every night, except the last. They all came over to see us to say goodbye. I can't remember our bar waitress or desert waiters name but they were great too. We usually grabbed a salad for lunch or the fish & chips or pizza.

Lloyd & Cecelia kept our room spotless and took good care of us. We had chocolates and a towel animal every night.

Debarkation - We didn't have a flight out until 12:50pm so we were in no hurry to get off the ship first thing. We headed up and had breakfast and then went back, grabbed our stuff and waited in the lounge for about a 1/2 hour for our number to be called. Customs was pretty simple and the taxis were waiting outside so we left for the airport immediately and here we are.

I'd have to say, I actually missed my husband and my kids (17 & 24 - so not babies) but it was an absolutely wonderful trip. I believe when you're ready to come home after a vacation it means it was a really good vacation, you don't feel like you missed out on anything. We didn't miss out on one thing. So, until the next one - Bon Voyage. Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Balcony Upper 6355

Carnival Freedom - Balcony Cabin 6355 - This room is right over the casino bar area. We could hear the band playing but it did not bother us enough to keep us awake. Mornings were very quiet. Loved the location. We had elevators/stairs either forward or back, depending on which part of the ship we were heading to and the same goes for up and down, we were right in the middle. I would choose this room again in a minute.

Grand Cayman - We booked a stingray excursion with Moby Dick Tours - this was the best experience of our lives. Time change messed us up a little bit but that gave us a little time in the morning to hit some shops and vendors to pick up a couple gifts. We took a van over to the boat and headed out to snorkel and meet the stingrays. The weather was absolutely beautiful and calm. Mark, Nick, William and Amy were just amazing and so knowledgeable. This is one thing every person should do in their lifetime.

Key West - Weather finally cleared so we decided to walk down to the Southernmost Point. It was a ways down but I didn't find it to be that bad. We took some pictures and then headed to a bar with a little beach and stuck our feet in for a few minutes. From there we just hit Duval Street and made our way back up while shopping and bar hopping. We had so much fun doing that and ran into friend's along the way.

Read 741 Key West Reviews

Ocho Rios, Jamaica - We booked the Dunns River Falls and Dolphin Cove excursion - Dunn's River was fun and challenging. We are 3 ladies in our early 40's. I found it easier not holding everyone's hand while climbing. I don't know why they want you to do that because it's hard to keep your balance. The market on the way out was very interesting but we made it through by just politely saying no thanks. From there we headed to Dolphin Cove. We did not do the all inclusive excursion so we had to buy our own beers. I found that to get a little expensive. They had a beach area we sat at but it was very rocky. They also had dolphins, sharks and such you could watch. We just went down to the beach and hung out in the water. It was another beautiful, calm and hot day. I would do the Dunn's River again but I don't think I would go back to Dolphin Cove.