Subscribe today
Get Cruise Critic in your inbox

Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by Michigandergrl

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by Michigandergrl
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Freedom
Member Name: Michigandergrl
Cruise Date: April 2010
Embarkation: Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades)
Destination: Western Caribbean
Cabin Category: 8C
Cabin Number: 6355
Booking Method: Cruise Line
See More About: Carnival Freedom Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5.0 out of 5+
Dining 5.0
Public Rooms 5.0
Cabins 5.0
Entertainment Not Rated
Spa & Fitness 4.0
Family & Children Not Rated
Shore Excursions 4.0
Embarkation 4.0
Service 5.0
Value-for-Money 5.0
Rates 4.0
Write a cruise review!

Show the Lowest Price
Departure Month
Please select at least one vendor.
American Discount Cruises
Sponsored Links:

red arrow

Ship Facts: Carnival Freedom Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Carnival Freedom Deck Plans
Freedom from reality
We flew into FLL the day before and stayed at the Hyatt Place North. We had to wait about a half hour for the hotel shuttle to pick us up but we didn't mind, it was a very busy port day with Oasis going out. Once we arrived at the hotel (around 1pm) we decided to store our bags in the locked waiting room and head to the beach because our room wasn't ready. We took the trolley from the Harbor Shops Mall across the street for $.50 each, what a deal. We just did some people watching (yikes) at the local bars along the strip and a little shopping and headed back to the hotel around 4pm when our room was ready. We headed to dinner, after getting settled, to the Southport Raw Bar - great food and right on the waterway. Also a note - you have to sign up at the hotel around 3pm or so for the shuttle the next day to the port. We signed up for the 10:30 time slot. Everyone at the hotel and the hotel was great, I'd stay there again in a minute. Very close to everything too.

Embarkation - arrived at the port around 11:00am. There was a line but it went pretty fast. We had to wait in a waiting room for about a half hour before they started calling numbers, we had 8 so it took a little while. I did notice the line was getting longer behind us so I'm glad we went early. Once on the ship it seems like everyone was on the lido deck and it was also raining. We were able to get a table outside under the overhang on lido and proceeded to fight our way through to the food lines. I decided I would drink a couple DOD's first and it would make the fight more enjoyable. Our room was ready right at 1:30pm. By this time it was pouring so it gave us a chance to get our stuff put away and enjoy the room and balcony for a while. That's one thing about beer, it tastes good no matter where you're at or what the weather's like. Muster drill was pretty painless and we headed to our meet & greet with the CC members. Everyone was so nice and it was great meeting everyone. We had about at hour and half delay setting sail due to the weather but before we knew it we were on our way. Yeah!

Sea days were just wonderful. I have to say, this is the calmest I have seen the seas. Our guides in Grand Cayman said that it usually means bad weather is coming. After the first day we never had another bad day. The only gripe I have is the chair hogs, they were out in full force so we just hung out on the 10th deck and usually could find a chair. We didn't have our kids with us either so we really didn't want to be around where they were anyway.

The food was outstanding, once again. We had anytime dining and usually went to dinner between 6:30 and 7:30. We never had to wait for a table and had the same server (Genesis) every night, except the last. They all came over to see us to say goodbye. I can't remember our bar waitress or desert waiters name but they were great too. We usually grabbed a salad for lunch or the fish & chips or pizza.

Lloyd & Cecelia kept our room spotless and took good care of us. We had chocolates and a towel animal every night.

Debarkation - We didn't have a flight out until 12:50pm so we were in no hurry to get off the ship first thing. We headed up and had breakfast and then went back, grabbed our stuff and waited in the lounge for about a 1/2 hour for our number to be called. Customs was pretty simple and the taxis were waiting outside so we left for the airport immediately and here we are.

I'd have to say, I actually missed my husband and my kids (17 & 24 - so not babies) but it was an absolutely wonderful trip. I believe when you're ready to come home after a vacation it means it was a really good vacation, you don't feel like you missed out on anything. We didn't miss out on one thing. So, until the next one - Bon Voyage.

Publication Date: 05/06/10
Read the Western Caribbean ports review by Michigandergrl
More Carnival Freedom Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Carnival Freedom review Read the next Carnival Freedom review

Like This Review?

Register for a Meet & Mingle!
More Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews
Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review
Carnival Cruise Deals
Carnival Message Board
Write a cruise review!
About UsAdvertisingEditorial DisclaimerPress
PrivacySite MapStoreSubscribe

Thank You For Signing Up!

Please Note: To ensure delivery of your free e-letters, please add to your address book.

We're committed to protecting your privacy and will not rent or sell your e-mail address. By proceeding, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.