Carnival Dream Cruise Review by therealtimcox: Dream Team rules the ship!!!!

therealtimcox
Member Since 2009
1 Post

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Dream Team rules the ship!!!!

Sail Date: April 2010
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

This was my 3rd cruise, all with Carnival. This was also my 1st cruise since the Swine Flu disaster on the Splendor in April 09'. After that experience I was a little nervous about cruising again. A 50% coupon convinced me to give it another try. The Dream restored my faith in cruising!!!

Let me first say that I was a member of the Cruise Critic Dream Team. Our host Randy took care of us in every way possible. He arraigned pick up from MCO to the Radisson in Pt. Canaveral, which also came at a discount because of CCDT. He was able to pull strings and get Ron Pass the piano man on a one week contract. He was on the Swine Flu cruise and is the most entertaining person I've ever seen. Every night in the piano bar was an adventure in drinks and laughter. Dr. Phil and his group were always great company. I cruised with the greatest group of people possible and will never forget it.

The ship is a lot like the Splendor in design with the exception of the Lanai on deck 5 More and the water works. The Lanai was the fastest way to get around the ship while enjoying a smoke break. There were plenty of empty deck chairs there and they had a couple of large chess sets to play with. The water works were a blast. There was hardly a line for the drainpipe slide which I thought was a lot funner then the twister slide.

Dinner in the Crimson Dining room was very good. Because of Randy we had the 2 center tables. The menu is the same as all the cruises I've been on. So I kinda have my favorites and know what to order and what to avoid. I've never had a good serving of warm choc. melting cake, it's too wet or too dry. I didn't do the buffets too much so I can't really comment there. The Mongolian grill is good and so is the deli at the back of the ship. The deli is open till 11pm so its a great place to catch a snack if your tired of pizza. On port days we would order room service for breakfast so we were ready to get off the ship asap.

The comedy shows were pretty funny, I only saw the R rated ones and I laughed some. Dancin in the Streets was good but I wasn't a fan of the female lead singer. She was trying too hard. The Fun Force break dancers were cool. I really didn't listen to anyone in the atrium of ocean plaza but from a distance they sounded alright. The Legends show was only good because of Randy as Sinatra and Emily as Brittney. The show was the exact same I've seen on 3 cruises, so it was no surprise when the cruise director came out as Dolly.

Great cruise, I can't wait to do it again. Prince Tim of Norway

READ THE PORT REVIEWS FOR SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO DO IN THE PORTS Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Oceanview Riviera 1212

Front of the ship, we felt the waves hitting the bow the first 2 nights, port side so we saw good views of ports

We booked the excursion to Atlantis. At $125 per person, it's expensive., I know. But it's worth it. The only problem is that you are not there long enough to do everything. We stuck to the water park and the beach.

The lazy river is just amazing!! It took us 45 mins to go around the whole thing. There was a section with a wave machine that spit out giant waves every 30 seconds or so, hurling you and your tube 10 to 15 ft. above your buddies then back down. Then we didn't even leave our tubes or the water and made a turn onto a conveyor belt and up to the water slide tower with 3 slides. We rode those for another hour and came back to the tower to ride the body slides. The abyss was amazing!! A pitch black hole in the ground with water pouring into it. We all actually left the slide for a second before splashing down into an aquarium cave. You have to see it to believe it!!

The other slides went through the shark tank. I was a tad disappointed in them because it was way too foggy inside the tube to see much. They were still fun though.

At the top of the water slide tower you can see this amazing beach and it was tempting us all day. We spent the last hour there and saw a crazy beautiful Indian wedding ceremony with everyone in bright colorful clothes. We forgot our snorkeling equipment so we just swam on our backs and chilled out in the ocean.

We caught a taxi ($4pp) back on our own after we missed our bus but we got back to the ship in plenty of time.

Read 2627 Nassau Reviews

We caught a taxi to Orient Beach on the French side of the island for $10. We were dropped off at Waikiki Beach section of Orient Beach and stayed there. We got 2 chairs and an umbrella for $25. The beach was gorgeous with white sand and crystal water. This was a clothing optional beach and there were a few topless ladies, but they are not anything special to talk about.

We were hungry and sat at the restaurant behind us. It was a French place and the menu was ridiculously expensive. The price was in Euros which means it cost more in Dollars. There was nothing on the menu we would pay for so we left. We had Ice teas while reading the menus and the waitress never came back with our change and we we had to go to the manager to get it. We walked a short distance to the next snack shack which had acceptable food. I had a cheeseburger and by buddie had a hamburger the price for the 2 was nearly $40. We has pre-arraigned with our taxi driver to pick us up at 2pm.

We wanted to go to Maho beach with the airplanes but with Carnival in full effect the roads were closed at 3pm. So we went back to the ship, got freshened up and went back out. We took a water taxi for $8pp round trip to Great Bay Beach just across the bay from the cruise ships. The beach there was beautiful too. We only stayed an hour or so before we had to get back on the ship.

We bought tickets to the sky ride to paradise point on the ship for $20 and decided to do that first. It was really hot and muggy and we had to wait in line for an hour or so. The view at the top was spectacular!!! I got some great photos and videos up there. We had to try the Bushwacker. It was coffee based and pretty creamy for my taste, but we had to try it. I think we were up there for an hour before coming down.

We had a kinda difficult time getting a taxi. When we did it was $6pp to the ferry in Red Hook. From there we got on the ferry to St John at $12 round trip. Another "taxi" for $6pp got us from Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay. Admission to the beach was only $4 and it wasn't very crowded. Trunk Bay is rated a top 5 beach in the world for good reason. There was a snorkeling trail out by the island with lots of different colorful fishes and other sea life. We brought inflatable noodles from home and they were a hit. You lay on them like a lounge chair and drift in the surf. We left after a few hours and had to repeat the taxi and ferry rides back to the ship. For $40pp we got a once in a lifetime experience at one of the best beaches in the world.

Read 2323 St. Thomas Reviews