Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Carnival Elation Cruise Review by va2wa: Awesome Trip but Rocky Seas

Carnival Elation 5

va2wa
Member Since 2008

Awesome Trip but Rocky Seas

Sail Date: April 2010
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: San Diego

This 4 day cruise to Catalina Island and Ensenada was amazing. Cruises are what you make of it, and we decided to have a great time and take advantage of everything. Embarkation in San Diego was very easy and quick. The safety drill was painless, as Carnival no longer requires you to wear your life vest or pack in like sardines. The dining room service was exceptional as usual, the food was delicious and plentiful (try the West Indian Pumpkin Soup... I wasn't sure I'd like it as much as other cruisers do but wow!) The only major annoyance of Carnival is the pushiness of servers near the pool to buy drinks from their trays (which are less potent than ones ordered at the bar).

Catalina Island was beautiful and a nice beach town. We took the $4 trolley up to the Botanical Gardens which were kind of nice and then went down to the beach. Once Descanso Beach is finished with construction, it will be beautiful. The town itself was very cute and a nice relaxing day. Kayaking may be More a nice option here. People said the glass bottom boat was pointless.

Ensenada Mexico was rich in history, but not an amazing port. We still had a great time, but vendors are very pushy, and the town is a little dirty. I hear the port won't be a stop anymore, which is probably a good idea. Our kayaking tour may have been awesome to the coves and hideaways, but it was cancelled due to rough seas.

The ship is old, but it is in good condition. The showers are a decent size, and spa showers are amazing... go up there! The bedding is Carnival's nice bedding, and it was inviting at night.

The trip was very rocky. Our last two nights, especially the last, almost made me sick and I don't get seasick. I am extremely hard to wake up, and the last night rocked so much, I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep. The boat swayed from side to side like no ship I've ever seen. I don't know if it was the stabilizers, boat or just the Pacific Ocean those nights, but I am still swaying days later.

Overall, we had an amazing trip full of laughter, dancing, great food and fun times. I would definitely go on another Carnival cruise, but not necessarily for those ports, but at that price, we were going for the boat and fun! Less

Published 05/04/10

Read more Carnival Elation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Elation Review >>

Cabin review:

The port was beautiful and a nice relaxing beach town. The shops were cute, people use golf carts to get around, and the attitude was friendly and relaxing. The only downfall is the lack of activities. Kayaking may have been good, but the glass bottom boat wasn't great to other cruisers, and the botanical gardens are okay but nothing to rave about.

Ensenada is rich in history, and I enjoyed the Convention Center. The town itself, however, is dirty and has pushy vendors every few feet. There is no beach to speak of unless you drive out to a resort. I wouldn't go back here.

Read 269 Ensenada Reviews