“A little bit of this and that.”
Cruise review of Carnival Valor

gliner Carnival Valor 4 A little bit of this and that.
gliner
Member Since 2001
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
My girlfriend and I sailed on the 4/25 - 5/2 sailing of the Carnival Valor. Neither of us had sailed this ship before, but both of us have sailed on Carnival before, so we knew what to expect.

Embarkation was a breeze! We live in Orlando, so we merely drove to Miami and made it in just over 3 hours. We turned our bags over to the porters at 9:22 am. We boarded the ship at 11 am and had lunch on the Lido deck.

We were allowed into our stateroom at 1:30 pm and found it to be most comfortable.

While we did limited shore excursions, we had an awesome time. My only complaints, and they are very minor and would never preclude me from sailing on Carnival or the Valor again are as follows.

1. Our room steward all but refused to refill our ice bucket. He instructed me to call room service if I wanted more ice. I would gladly get my own ice, but they would not allow me to do so.

2. I actually lost weight on this cruise because the food availability was limited. Hard to believe I know, but most of the food stations were only open for 2 1/2 hours a day! Want to try the fish and chips? You better be there between 12:00 and 2:30 or you will miss out. Yes, the pizza is available 24 hours a day and I tried it. It was simply awful. I LOVED the pizza on the Paradise, and I stopped for a slice every chance I got, but on the Valor, it was really bad.

3. Our fellow cruisers. Now I am not a prude by any means, but when a family of 12 is sitting in the main dining room shouting to each other across 2 tables and dropping "F" bombs in every sentence, then decorum has taken a back seat to economics. Every night at dinner we were exposed to something akin to Jed Clampett and his kin engaging in verbal combat to see who could insult the most people at the other table. While the food served was very good, the ambiance left much to be desired.

Overall we had an amazing time and we are ready to go again!

Carnival Valor Cruises to the Western Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Interior

4C1205
We were in cabin 1205. The bed was extremely comfortable. The shower did not drain well, but other than that, we had no problems with the cabin.

Port
Cozumel used to be an incredible diving destination and one of my favorite ports because of that alone. Sadly the reefs have been severely damaged by hurricanes and the diving is just not what it once was.

Loud bars and souvenir stands are really all that exist there now.

When they put a McDonald's there, I knew it was time to find somewhere else to go.

Read 4,590 Cozumel Reviews
My girlfriend lived on Grand Cayman for a couple of years and while we both like going there to dive/snorkle, there is really nothing there to see or do. I would prefer to go somewhere else, but the cruise lines must garner a great deal of money from the local merchants to make going somewhere else more profitable.

Port
Our first trip to the new Mahogany Bay area. Very nice, but completely controlled by Carnival.

I went scuba diving and the diving was incredible.

Read 2,205 Roatan Reviews
Published 05/03/10
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Valor Review
Carnival Valor Cruises to the Western Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?