Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by Radio: Midnight at the Oasis, My Report Card

5,665 Posts

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Midnight at the Oasis, My Report Card

Sail Date: March 2010

Please note that I do not work for RCI, and I have sailed on many Cruise Lines, and many ships. These are my opinions, and I urge you to read many reviews about Royal Caribbean International, and Oasis of the Seas. I did not pay much attention to the kids programs or excursions that are available on Oasis of the Seas, so I did not give that aspect a grade.

Embarkation: As I entered the massive Terminal 18, I was processed with the normal security check. It appears that I misread the boarding requirements, as I thought that I was allowed to bring a bottle of wine. Ooops. . . . I was wrong. No Alcohol of any kind may be brought on board. Luckily, we had our car parked in the lot at Terminal 18, and we just placed it in our car.

Just past the security check I noticed just how big this new Terminal was. There were 90 Check in stations. . . Wow. Check-in stations were arranged by Deck number, and there were several Diamond Plus check in counters to be seen. More

The check in process was fast & efficient. RCI has taken an idea from Holland America, and takes your boarding card photo (A-Pass) at check-in. This really speeds things up. I then was guided upstairs and boarded immediately. Be sure to get your Deck Plans from the Check-in Agent. We did not, and were surprised to hear that there are No Deck Plans once onboard the Oasis of the Seas. We were told by several people that they are only available in the Terminal. ReportCard: A

Cabin: We had a standard D6 Balcony Cabin on Deck 14 FWD. The cabin had a large Samsung Flat Screen HD TV even if it did only have an analog (Non HD) signal. This included only 29 channels of programming (7 Ship channels, 22 Cable channels). The storage area at first seemed to be much smaller than Freedom or Voyager class ships, but there was room for everything. There was much less closet space, and there is no drawer space under the night tables. The room seemed a little smaller than Freedom or Voyager class, but we fit in nice and found a space for everything. The sink was much smaller than we were used to, but the bathroom appeared to be about the same size as we were used to. The Balcony was very nice with a large table and 2 chairs. The design of the room is similar to Celebrity Solstice Class. ReportCard: A-

Dining: We were assigned to the Opus Dining Room, on Deck 3 AFT, and were very pleased. We only ate there 3 times, as there were many choices for dining on board. We also had dinner at Giovanni's Table, Izumi, Windjammer, and the Solarium Bistro.

All of the meals were good, but not great. The service everywhere was very good, and the presentation was very good as well. I think that as the Oasis staff becomes used to serving so many guests, that the dining will improve. The wait staff was very friendly in all of the dining areas we visited. ReportCard: B+

Entertainment: I thought the entertainment might have been the best that I have seen on any Cruise Line. "Hairspray" was a hit, as well as "Come Fly with Me" Production Show. The production value was above average though and the sound quality very good. The Aqua Theatre shows were very good, and I would suggest going at night, as the lighting effects were strong, and the setting is beautiful at night. There seemed to be "Live" music everywhere, and I think that they were all very talented. All of the live venues seemed to attract a large crowd of passengers. We were unable to attend all of the shows, and would like to sail on Oasis again, just to see more shows. ReportCard: A

Public Areas: The Public Areas were clean & comfortable. There was alot of walkong to see everything that Oasis has to offer .From the Small Wonders, to the Art onboard, I felt that there was so much to see. RCI has a book onboard about all of the Art and sculptures that are on Oasis, and that is a great guide to read about the artists and the meaning of the art that is displayed. I really loved Central Park and the Solarium. From the reviews I read, I expected to feel crowded during the week. That was not the case in most areas. It will always feel crowded after a show, or the first day at the Windjammer. Avoiding the crowds can usually be done through timing, and patience. ReportCard A

Debarkation: Debarkation process was really helped by being at Terminal 18. Passengers started to leave very early. I was one of the last ones off at 10AM. The terminal was still very busy then, and we waited about 20 minutes in line waiting for customs. The Debarkation was good, but not the best. I think the process will improve as there are more sailings. ReportCard B+

Overall Grade: A Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck 12 14568

Our Cabin was very nice, with a nice balcony. We were very close to the Elevator. It was along walk to the Dining Room, but we were close to the Spa, and Opus Theatre.