Costa Magica Cruise Review by GiLu

Cruise Date: April 2010
Embarkation: Savona
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: O
See More About: Costa Magica Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Costa Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Costa Magica Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Costa Magica Deck Plans
Much ado about nothing
I chose this cruise exclusively because of the ports. Did not have big expectations on Costa cruise lines, the price was not a bargain, but the itinerary and dates matched our needs, so there we went...

Right from the beginning, embarkation process was an awful mess, 3 and half hours sat(at the floor) of the crowded terminal. There were 2 boarding gates, we watched the other gate, embarking for the Costa Pacifica, finished the process and ship departed. While the Magica was still calling mid-numbers, finally the Pacifica staff crossed the hall to help the Magica, and after almost 4 hours waiting, (no complimentary food, no water), we finally got on the ship.

The ship is in good condition, however, the decor was sort of odd, to say the least. The layout is also strange, not easy to navigate. The light "arms" that decorates the Bellagio buffet is among the ugliest things I have ever seen, also found the Smeralda Dining room tacky.

Cabins: Big,(bigger than same category cabins compared to all the other cruise ships I have been), comfortable, good bedding, our stewardess, Epi, was very attentive and not intrusive, excellent!

Food: The Buffet overall: poor quality, everyday was the same. no assortment of fruits, the salads were OK. No buffet at night! only pizza... And the water, ice, ice cream stations were always broken. The station coffee was horrible! Of course you can buy espressos and cappuccinos,(I did), 1,7 € each. The dining room had better food, nothing to die for, just OK, edible, second seating ALWAYS opened late, we had to wait outside the dining room for 10 to 15 minutes every night, quite annoying...

This has been my first and last Costa, Next time I go to Europe, I will cruise Norwegian or RC.

Publication Date: 04/30/10