“Blue Skies and Sun!”
Cruise review of Norwegian Sky

unfdoug Norwegian Sky 5 Blue Skies and Sun!
unfdoug
Member Since 2009
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
We took a last minute cruise on the NCL 'Sky' for a three day Bahamas cruise to tape an episode of Cruise Radio and it was pretty eventful. Since my radio show is independent, I can have an unbiased look at it all. We are both in our 20's, so of course having fun was the second reason we were on the ship.. after the radio show of course :)

Embarkation was a breeze, we were out of the car and on the gangway in less than fifteen minutes and I thought we were going to be waiting in lines because we didn't get to the terminal til 1:30 pm.

The rooms were pretty small but I couldn't complain, they did upgrade us to a suite which was nice. The TV's are still standard TV's, plenty of closet and drawer space as well. The did show the days activities on the TV channels on the ship and you had to option to buy.

Now for the freestyle cruising! There are a few speciality restaurants on board, we ate at Cagney's (steakhouse with a surcharge of $25). The other dining times we just went to the main dining rooms (The Palace and The Crossing). The buffets on board were your standard hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, and seafood. One place I did take advantage of was the sports bar on board, it was open til 5:30'ish every morning and it made for some great after hours food.

The entertainment was good. Typical cruise show material, nothing spectacular. Matt Baker, the Cruise Director was a trip. He made the cruise amazing and kept everyone on their feet. The white party and the 70's disco is a must!

The pool area was nice. Plenty of servers, we did get asked a few times if we wanted drinks in the 30 minutes we were out there but I understand that's their job so I didn't let it bother me. Usually I feel nickle and dimed on a cruise ships, not on this one. The private island , Great Stirrup Cay was nothing to write home about. It seriously looks like the cruise line hasn't put a dime into the island in about 20 years. It wasn't ran down but could have been improved. One think that I was really impressed about was the cleanliness of the bathrooms on the island. They were kept cleaner then some of the public restrooms on the ship. We had a nice BBQ on the island and went for a little walk on the nature trail afterwards.

When the cruise comes to an end, they don't rush you for disembarkation, they just ask you to be out of your cabin by 9 am so they stewards can flip the cabin over for the next cruise. We didn't get off the ship til about 10 am.

For my first NCL experience, it was a fun time. No real complaints. I would rebook in a minute!

Norwegian Sky Cruises to Bermuda
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

5801
Our cabin was small, located in perfect walking distance to the elevators and quiet.
Published 04/29/10
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Norwegian Sky Review
Norwegian Sky Cruises to Bermuda
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?