Emerald Princess Cruise Review by feistytigger: Simply wonderful

Simply wonderful

Sail Date: September 2009
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Copenhagen

We traveled as a group of 4 in our early 30s. For my husband and myself, it was our 4th cruise (2 Carnival, 1 RCI). All of us have been to Europe several times for land-based vacays.

I know I'm terribly late in posting this, but I figure that people are probably right now planning their Baltic cruises for this summer so it might still be useful. If you're just considering booking this cruise, DO IT! It's great.

The ship: The ship is nice. Well maintained and all that. Less gaudy than a Carnival ship but laid out similarly, which we like (except for the decks that you can't pass all the way through on, but it's not that big of a deal).

The cabin: It was fine. The shower was much bigger than we'd seen on other ships.

The food: It was really good! We didn't even go to any of the specialty restaurants because we were so pleased with the options in the dining room. This was especially delightful after having bad food on RCI's Splendour of the Seas in More 2008. It was like an improved version of Carnival's food, which we'd liked.

The service: Like the food, this was a bit better than what we'd seen on Carnival (which we really liked) and far superior to what we experienced on RCI. Everyone was cheerful and very attentive.

The entertainment: The comedians were great! We were really impressed. We didn't especially enjoy the shows, but we've never been impressed with that sort of entertainment on a ship.

The partying: Oh boy, if you like dancing, bring your dancing shoes! There was dancing in at least a couple of venues every night. Take ballroom lessons if you want to take full advantage of this. It was super fun.

The casino: Our guys seemed to like it.

Other passengers: We met a lot of super nice ones. I'd say the average age was probably upper 50s/lower 60s, and there were only a couple of kids on board. Although we were 4 of very few 30-somethings on board, we had a blast with the other passengers. We did get a bit irritated with groups who don't understand lines, but that's obviously a cultural thing and really no big deal if you go in knowing that it's a possibility. If that sort of thing really bothers you, I'd recommend avoiding European cruises altogether.

I'll briefly review the ports below, but check out my blog - feistync.wordpress.com - for pictures and the specifics of what we did. Based on this cruise, we *definitely* plan to cruise with Princess again. Less

Read more Emerald Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Emerald Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Emerald Princess

We originally planned to tour the concentration camp AND Malbork Castle with a guide (AllGdanskTours.com), but we had to cut back due to a job loss. We ended up just visiting Malbork. It was nice but not particularly awesome. This might have been a good thing to do as a ship-sponsored excursion since no one spoke English and a guided tour might have been nice. Then again, we got to wander around and take photos at our own pace.

Read 41 Gdansk Reviews

Sadly, we visited Helsinki on a Sunday. The main things to do there are visit churches, which we did very easily, but a lot of stuff is closed on Sundays. Too bad. I'd recommend sleeping in a bit if you also visit Helsinki on a Sunday.

Read 335 Helsinki Reviews

(5)
I especially enjoyed Oslo. We went to the Vigeland Sculpture Park first thing, which was great since it's open during daylight hours. It's a photographer's dream. Then we wandered around in the main part of town to see the cute buildings, buy chocolate, and see Munch's Scream at the National Gallery.

Read 145 Oslo Reviews

This is the crown jewel of the trip and the whole reason for taking the trip in the first place. The four of us did 2 full days with Anna from Anastasia Tours, which was expensive but absolutely the right choice. Anna was fantastic (pretty, friendly, and gave us more fun random facts than other guides gave), so I'd highly recommend requesting her.

We really liked Stockholm. We wandered around Gamla Stan and then visited the Vasa Museum. We ran into some trouble with public transportation, so be aware of that and always allow for extra time when you're DIYing.

Tallinn is so stinking cute! Don't miss it just because you're tired from St. Petersburg. We just wandered around the old town

Read 351 Tallinn Reviews