“Simply wonderful”

feistytigger
Member Since 2006
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
We traveled as a group of 4 in our early 30s. For my husband and myself, it was our 4th cruise (2 Carnival, 1 RCI). All of us have been to Europe several times for land-based vacays.

I know I'm terribly late in posting this, but I figure that people are probably right now planning their Baltic cruises for this summer so it might still be useful. If you're just considering booking this cruise, DO IT! It's great.

The ship: The ship is nice. Well maintained and all that. Less gaudy than a Carnival ship but laid out similarly, which we like (except for the decks that you can't pass all the way through on, but it's not that big of a deal).

The cabin: It was fine. The shower was much bigger than we'd seen on other ships.

The food: It was really good! We didn't even go to any of the specialty restaurants because we were so pleased with the options in the dining room. This was especially delightful after having bad food on RCI's Splendour of the Seas in 2008. It was like an improved version of Carnival's food, which we'd liked.

The service: Like the food, this was a bit better than what we'd seen on Carnival (which we really liked) and far superior to what we experienced on RCI. Everyone was cheerful and very attentive.

The entertainment: The comedians were great! We were really impressed. We didn't especially enjoy the shows, but we've never been impressed with that sort of entertainment on a ship.

The partying: Oh boy, if you like dancing, bring your dancing shoes! There was dancing in at least a couple of venues every night. Take ballroom lessons if you want to take full advantage of this. It was super fun.

The casino: Our guys seemed to like it.

Other passengers: We met a lot of super nice ones. I'd say the average age was probably upper 50s/lower 60s, and there were only a couple of kids on board. Although we were 4 of very few 30-somethings on board, we had a blast with the other passengers. We did get a bit irritated with groups who don't understand lines, but that's obviously a cultural thing and really no big deal if you go in knowing that it's a possibility. If that sort of thing really bothers you, I'd recommend avoiding European cruises altogether.

I'll briefly review the ports below, but check out my blog - feistync.wordpress.com - for pictures and the specifics of what we did. Based on this cruise, we *definitely* plan to cruise with Princess again.

Emerald Princess Cruises to the Baltic Sea
  • Rates
  • Service
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Oceanview (obstructed view)

Port
We originally planned to tour the concentration camp AND Malbork Castle with a guide (AllGdanskTours.com), but we had to cut back due to a job loss. We ended up just visiting Malbork. It was nice but not particularly awesome. This might have been a good thing to do as a ship-sponsored excursion since no one spoke English and a guided tour might have been nice. Then again, we got to wander around and take photos at our own pace.

Read 52 Gdansk Reviews
Port
Sadly, we visited Helsinki on a Sunday. The main things to do there are visit churches, which we did very easily, but a lot of stuff is closed on Sundays. Too bad. I'd recommend sleeping in a bit if you also visit Helsinki on a Sunday.

Read 531 Helsinki Reviews
Port
I especially enjoyed Oslo. We went to the Vigeland Sculpture Park first thing, which was great since it's open during daylight hours. It's a photographer's dream. Then we wandered around in the main part of town to see the cute buildings, buy chocolate, and see Munch's Scream at the National Gallery.

Read 226 Oslo Reviews
This is the crown jewel of the trip and the whole reason for taking the trip in the first place. The four of us did 2 full days with Anna from Anastasia Tours, which was expensive but absolutely the right choice. Anna was fantastic (pretty, friendly, and gave us more fun random facts than other guides gave), so I'd highly recommend requesting her.

Port
We really liked Stockholm. We wandered around Gamla Stan and then visited the Vasa Museum. We ran into some trouble with public transportation, so be aware of that and always allow for extra time when you're DIYing.

Port
Tallinn is so stinking cute! Don't miss it just because you're tired from St. Petersburg. We just wandered around the old town

Read 589 Tallinn Reviews
Published 04/28/10
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Emerald Princess Review
Emerald Princess Cruises to the Baltic Sea
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?