Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by jclinard: A wonderful time

A wonderful time

Sail Date: April 2010
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

I have cruised many times, and didn't really care where went. Princess offered the best price for a seven day trip, and my agency gave me huge upgrade. I've never been above deck 5 before. I was upgraded to deck 10. It was hard to break the habit of everything from dining rooms to the library from being UP.

My stateroom was clean and comfortable, and I loved the temperature control. On a previous cruise I was cold, and asked for an extra blanket. It was not provided, but after two days of making up two beds, the steward provided one. This time it was not an issue.

I met many wonderful people, and the cruise was filled with activities I enjoyed. I was nervous about another Princess cruise, as the last one were almost all white affluent seniors. This was more diverse.

I hardly cared about the ports. I went to Cabo and Puerta Vallarta, but not Mazatlan. I bought virtually nothing but postcards and stamps.

Still, I was a big winner in one way. The More Wake Up Show offered daily prizes for the question of the day. I won twice (magnets)... but also won the grand prize of a diamond necklace. I have no idea what to do with it, but it is valuable. Oddly, the deputy cruise director did not know what it was worth. I hardly care, but I needed it for customs. It will go into a safe for now.

The Sapphire Princess had wonderful pools and hot tubs. Carnivals are cold. Princess has hot ones. Good for them.

I think at age 43 I'm getting to feel a bit old for Carnival now. Princess is nice; not too fussy, but not really the party ship Carnival is.

I enjoyed the cruise, and would do another one in a heartbeat with Princess.

Are there things I didn't like? A few. I boarded early and the grill was not open. I wanted a burger, but the buffet was open. Also, on day one there was no shampoo in my stateroom, but I was in the bathroom at the time and the steward corrected it on day two. I also did not care for the chocolate and hazelnut souffle, but that was my problem.

I recommend Princess. Less

Read more Sapphire Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Sapphire Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Sapphire Princess Interior Double Emerald C222

I had an inside cabin, with two double beds put together. I had no problem, but if I had a girl with me, the divide between the two beds might have been an issue. It was clean and my steward gave me good service. I found a woman's jeweled ring in my safe and turned it into passenger services. I had no complains.

I went ashore, but I've been there many times. I bought postcards for my friends and family. I didn't spent much time there, but it is a nice place.

I did not get off the ship there. I've been there, and it isn't interesting to me. I had more fun using the hot tub and relaxing on the ship.

Read 289 Mazatlan Reviews

I liked taking photos, and I bought a present for a friend, but I've been there, done that. I guess after so many times, it's not a treat to me.