Rotterdam Cruise Review by cirquskid: Rotterdam - South Pacific

Rotterdam - South Pacific

Sail Date: March 2010
Destination: South Pacific
Embarkation: San Diego

After several years of thinking about what we wanted to do for our 25th Anniversary, this cruise kept popping up to the top of the list. One of our "Bucket List" items was to travel to Boro Boro and we had mainly considered flying over and staying at one of the resorts, but after weighing our options and seeing the itinerary of the Rotterdam, we opted on cruising. We booked a year in advance because we wanted to insure that we were able to get a veranda suite, and it was good that we did, as it sold out very fast. With few exceptions, the experience was beyond our wildest dreams. The Rotterdam and her crew, headed up by Captain Rik Krombeen, (my DW called him Capt. Happy Horn because of how much he blew the ships horn when we did a sail-away,) The food, prepared and served by an outstanding food service team headed up by Executive Chef Karl Eller and Food and Dinning Room Manager, Kiki Basuki and the Hotel Services provided by Robert Verateeg and his staff, truly made our 25th More Anniversary a very special occasion to cherish. . I was totally impressed at how far the staff went to accommodate everyone, including the wheelchair bound and those that were physically challenged, as well as any little fix-it needs that arose. The food was excellent; we ate 95% of our evening meals in the main dining room and on two occasions, the Pinnacle Grill. We took advantage of the room service for several breakfasts which helped in getting out faster on shore days, but the Lido hit the spot most days for breakfast and lunch..

Our room stewards were awesome, they were invisible yet right there if we needed something and the cabin was perfect. Our cabin was starboard on the Veranda deck and our views were incredible. The beds were the stuff dreams are made of which I'm missing already.

Though there were many on-board activities, most did not peek my interest. Of those that did, the Digital Photo Workshop was outstanding. John Roberts the instructor was excellent as was the hands on cooking class with Chef Agnello and we took advantage of our port days, ashore. Though the in-room movies on the TV were great, the DVD library could stand some re-stocking. It was great to have the INTERNET on board with WIFI hot-spots, albeit a little costly and its slowness. The webmaster was super; I logged 30 minutes that I did not actually use the first time I logged on because I failed to read the instructions about signing out and he restored the time without a hassle. I took the opportunity to Blog the trip so my family and friends could share it with us. We thoroughly enjoyed the Piano Bar in the "Mix" with Michael Sara and the Showroom At Sea performance of Dan Riley.

My only negative comments are of a personal nature and have nothing to do with the Rotterdam or her crew. For 33 days we had to depend on Fox News to stay in touch with the world and it was so bad that after a couple of weeks of listening to their one-sided opinionated garbage, we opted to just read the daily New York Times sheets. And lastly, I hope someone enjoyed Nuku Hiva, I can see why HAL does not offer tours there, I'm sure the complaints would be outrageous. Less

Read more Rotterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Rotterdam Review >>

Cabin review: Rotterdam Verandah Suite Verandah 6145

This cabin has lots of storage space, excellent floor plan, great deck, close to the Laundry, and was in the WIFI hot-spot.