MSC Poesia Cruise Review by ugoa

Member Name: ugoa
Cruise Date: April 2010
Cabin Category: 8
Cabin Number: 12027
See More About: MSC Poesia Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | MSC Cruises Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: MSC Poesia Review (by Cruise Critic!) | MSC Poesia Deck Plans
You get what you pay for.
On April 10th we sailed the Poesia for the first time. Being of Italian heritage we wanted to experience this Italian cruise line.

Keeping in mind that this was a very inexpensive cruise for a balcony on the 12Th deck, my expectations were not very high and that was a good thing.

On the positive side, the ship is very clean and well decorated.

On the negative, I was very disappointed with the food. Although sometimes tasty, it was never hot. When you asked the waiters why, they just stared at you and never gave proper answers.

If you like cruising because of the amount of food that is always available, brace yourself on this cruise. The pizzeria is opened from 6:30-10:30 every evening. The buffet closes at 8:30. If you get hungry after 10:30, forget it, there is no food to be found anywhere. There was one very elegant midnight buffet and the other evenings between 11:30-12:30 they serve open faced sandwiches in mini buns with day old cold cuts, not even worth going to.

Another annoying policy they have is that on gala evenings they close the buffet because they want you to enjoy the "gala menu dinner". For starters I don't enjoy being told where I have to eat when I'm cruising. I also don't like to dress up twice but I had no choice unless I wanted to go hungry. By the way the gnocchi were tasteless and cold and the lobster was very chewy.

If you are a smoker you might be surprised when noticing the sign on your balcony door stating "It is strictly forbidden to smoke on the balcony". What makes it really odd is that every time I was on the balcony the only thing I noticed was the ship officers smoking on their balcony maybe 200 feet from mine.

The casino is not comparable to other cruise ships. Small, unfriendly staff and they decide to close it whenever they get tired. On a couple of occasions I went to the cage to ask them to change a 100 bill to 20's but they told me they had no change. Some slot machines give you tickets other coins but no machine takes tickets.

There are no art auctions on this ship and hardly any poolside music or live bands which you always find on other ships.

Most evenings they have movie under the stars. Get there bright and early because they place about 50 chairs for the several thousand passengers.

Oh yes and what's with the men public washrooms and no urinals only stalls. Never seen that in my life and men please start locking the door when using them. All I did was go from door to door and realize that someone was already using it.

As indicated at the start of this review, I'm happy that my expectations were low because of the price I paid. In the future Poesia or MSC will never be in my plans.

Publication Date: 04/22/10