Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by crasher1339

Norwegian Dawn
Norwegian Dawn
Member Name: crasher1339
Cruise Date: April 2010
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda

Great time on the Dawn, but a few glitches
Cruised with our neighbors and teen son and daughter in April. The Dawn is a beautiful ship - public areas, restrooms, cabins all were sparkling clean. I only have prior cruise experience on RC, but the cabins on this ship were great, plenty of closet/drawer space, excellent use of space, very functional and ergonomically terrific bathrooms. Also very stylish and fit and finish were perfect, no dangling caulk or ill fitting drawers to worry about. Embarkation and debarkation were flawless.

Entertainment was terrific, a good mix of production numbers, comedy and magic shows. Did not use the casino, mainly because the house rules were not good for the blackjack player, which is all that interests me (only 6:5 payout on blackjack, what's up with that?).

Food in the main dining rooms ranged from ok to excellent, but certainly nothing terrible. The buffet for breakfast and lunch was particularly good, lots of choices and all appeared fresh and well prepared. Room service was one glitch - mainly you couldn't get it! Every time I called I got a busy signal, even trying repeatedly. Very frustrating when you have the late night munchies. When I asked about this, I was told it was just very busy. It would seem to me that if it's that busy they should either have a late night buffet available or more staff for room service. We tried one of the extra cost dining areas, the sushi bar. Definitely not up to the best sushi I've had, I would classify it as better than supermarket, but not as good as my favorite local place.

I used the gym twice. It has the usual equipment and was very nice. They even have little TV's to watch on the machines, although staff were not keeping up with cleaning the earphones that are provided (the "used" bin was full, the "clean" bin was empty) - bring your own would be my advice. I didn't use the spa or any other special services.

Bermuda is not for everyone. Almost no nightlife, and at least this time of year the beaches were not ready for prime time. But for someone like me, who likes to wander around and see the places I visit, it's perfect. Unlike your typical caribbean island, it's safe, clean, and very accessible via public transport. One day I rented a bike in Hamilton and spent a wonderful few hours cycling most of the island via the railway trail, an abandoned right of way that has been converted to a hiking and bicycle trail. Beautiful views of the island, plus you get to see the island from ground level, where people live, go to school, shop, etc. I like that when I travel. There are even a few touristy spots, like the Gibbs Hill Lighthouse, that are nicely set up and very inexpensive.

All in all, other than the couple of glitches above, I really enjoyed my vacation.

Publication Date: 04/22/10