Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by Stormlover: Friends on the Jewel / Crown & Anchor Cruise

Stormlover
Member Since 2005
3,645 Posts

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean Cruises

Friends on the Jewel / Crown & Anchor Cruise

Sail Date: April 2010
Destination: Southern Caribbean

Let me start by saying we are late 40s and the majority of the ship was 70+. This did not stop us from having a wonderful time. We had wonderful table mates, and got to meet some of our cruise critic friends. This was a crown and anchor cruise, (Please do not book a C&A cruise for the free perks or gifts you will be disappointed.) The meet and mingle was fun, Thanks to Susie for the Gift exchange, an Tim for the cabin crawl and the crispy crunch bars. LOL Cabin We had cabin 8088, we are Diamond, we never had robes delivered, and a couple of times there were used towels put back on the rack, so I started putting them in the shower stall, so he would get the hint I wanted clean towels. I did not think the robes was a issue or I would have asked for them, so if you want them you may have to ask. other than that small issue the room was clean and fresh.

Dining I am not a big food critic, but they really need a new dessert menu this is the same one from 5 years ago. Now our More Waiter really needed some help, I think they have opened the my time dining at the top deck an moved the majority of small tables there so our waiter was trying to take care of 2 large tables about 20 people. He often mixed up our orders, would forget what you ordered, and was not the most personable, the assistant tried to make up where he was lacking. She was wonderful. This was the first time we were never offered drinks from the bar with dinner, We were given a wine menu, but we are not wine drinkers. After dinner shots were never brought by out table, only saw them on one night across the room. Made for a cheaper bar tab for me!

Entertainment, not our favorite. Marty Allen and the Motown group were very good. The RC singers need help. The guy in the schooner bar, get ready to go to sleep. The vortex dj, young kid did not know much music. Less

Read more Jewel of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Jewel of the Seas Review >>

Aruba was our first stop we had Amador Lacy ( Bullys Taxie) booked in advance this was one of the best tours we have ever taken, (15 cruises) Bully showed us pretty much the whole island. He had a nice van with ac and plenty of room, the Aruba law only allows a taxi to carry 5 passangers so book him early. You will not be disappointed with his tour.

Read 681 Aruba Reviews

The next port was Cartagena, we had a tour with Claudia booked but the ship changed the day we were there so she set us up with another guide Dency, wonderful young lady, We had arranged in advance for a full tour of The following La Popa Monastery, The SanFelipe Fortress the Gold Museum and The Inquisition with a photo stop at St Peter Clavers Church. We did all this in about 4 an a half hours. There was 20 in our group, and we had about 20-30 minutes to shop at the dungeons. Dency did a wonderful job on the history of the places visited, The only thing that was a mild issue would have been her soft voice, it was sometimes hard to hear her with this larg of a group. After our tour was over we went back to the ship for lunch. We Then wondered back to the area around the ship to do a lil shopping, and there came Dency up to me carrying a bag, she was bringing it to the ship. One of our group had left 2 bags of coffee beans in the over head storage area. I could not believe that she went out of her way to return this to me, since I organized the tour. This was my second favorite tour. Loved this beautiful city. Lots of history here as well.

We did a tour with Mario, not one of our favorites, went to Portobello( no reason to ever go back) then a beach stop ( ok beach ) then the Gatun locks, I must say that was our only reason for booking this tour, the locks are amazing a must see. We had Elvis for our guide an were supposed to be back at 3:00 so we could do a lil shoping, got back at 3:45. All aboard was at 5:00 so we had about 30 minutes to look around. Will probably not a book a cruise that stops at this port again.

Beautiful Island, just wish they had a dock instead of the tenders. We went to 7 mile beach for a few hours then back to town for a lil shopping. We have been her a number of times and there is always something to do, very low crime rate so you can wonder about on your own.

We did not book any tours as nothing caught our attention. So we got off and wondered through town, there is a beautiful park just off the ship, but be aware of the lil kids wanting to show you monkeys or sloths, while you are looking up they will try to grab your bags, wallet,camera etc,and run. The law will not bother them because they are kids. They want a tip then when you get your wallet out beware,or it may be the last time you see it.