Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by shelleyr25

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by shelleyr25
Explorer of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Member Name: shelleyr25
Cruise Date: April 2010
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)
Destination: Bermuda
        10-12 1.0

Not impressed at all......at least the kids had fun!
This was our 3rd family cruise and was chosen at the last minute. We live 25 minutes from Bayonne and with the airfares being so high we figured we would try a local cruise.

Departure- We arrived early at the port, security and check in were fine but the gross cookies, coffee and drinks I could have done without...little did I know that there would be 5 more days of the same...yuck!!

Stateroom- We were pleased with our adjoining staterooms however there were a number of things wrong... 1. only hot water would come out of the faucets!!! This is insane!! How can I expect my 2 kids to wash their hands and brush their teeth with hot water...this occurred the whole trip. 2. the hallway smelled like an overflowed toilet for the first 3 days 3. no conditioner in the shower, just shampoo..had I known I would have brought my own

Kids Activities- my kids walked in and then out...perhaps we are spoiled by the kids clubs on the Disney Cruise. Thank goodness we were traveling with a number of families so they had their friends to hang out with. If this were not the case they would have driven us nuts the whole trip.

Food- we ate breakfast and lunch at Windjammer and then dinner in the dining room. Boring, boring, boring...dull bland food...not impressed at all. I also felt that there was not enough access to snacks throughout the day for the kids. They had a choice of Windjammer when it was open or the Cafe Promenade which served the same stuff everyday. The free "ice cream" by the pool was not ice cream at all but frozen yogurt. We had the late dinner so we really needed something at around 4pm for the kids and the only choice at that time was on the Promenade. After 2 days of pizza and sandwiches we were just DONE!

Service- We felt it was average, nobody really went out of the way for us in anyway...

Pool Area- When they finally decided to turn the heat on it was fine and the kids had fun. Since it was cool there were plenty of chaises available. The reggae band got a bit old into the 3rd day...

Bermuda- Very pretty island. We were aware of the temperature this time of year and dressed for it. I must say, our first day there we spent at Horseshoe Bay and the kids were able to go into the water. It really wasn't that bad at all. We bought the 2 day transportation pass and visited Crystal Cave and Hamilton on day 2. Great day trip! The caves should not be missed!

Arrival back in NJ- we chose the Express Walk Off and other than the fact that as usual there were no elevators available, it was fine...we were off the ship by 8am and home by 9am after hitting a bit of rush hour traffic.

The ship is quite dated...a bit too heavy on the pink and sea foam green as far as the decor is concerned. Everything just has a "used" appearance to it. As the above poster stated it was painful to wait for an elevator, more than once we ran up the 5 flights of steps to get to the pool deck from our room..

All in all I feel we got what we paid for. Our past 2 cruises with Disney we paid almost twice as much as what we spent on this trip plus airfare to get to Florida. That being said, Disney has spoiled us!!! Would we do RC again??? I am not sure, however if you ask my kids they would say "no". Their hearts belong to Mickey!!

Publication Date: 04/18/10