Bahamas Celebration Cruise Review by wysiwyg309: Pleasantly Surprised

Family & Children 2.0

Pleasantly Surprised

Sail Date: April 2010
Destination: Bahamas

Although my family and I travel a lot this was our first cruise. I must admit that after receiving the voucher, speaking to a representative to confirm the $118/2 people was valid, and reading the reviews posted here I went on this cruise ship expecting the worse. Note: There is a $10/pp per day fee + a $18 pp per day fee also.

Me and my family drove to Ft. Lauderdale and I must admit after a 8 hour drive it was a little inconvenient going to the welcome center (which is 45-minutes past where you board the ship)and then driving back 45 minutes to embark. The embarking process was not bad, it took us about 45 minutes from the time we dropped the car off, checked our bags, checked into the ship. Note: The parking is $15 per day (cost us $30). Also, the ship is a cashless system so you will either have to give them a debit card, credit card, or $100/pp to charge items while on the ship (i.e. excursions, gift shop items, drinks, etc).

On to the room...we decided not to More upgrade because we figured we wasn't going to spend a lot of time in the room. I must admit it was a little tight in the room. My husband and I had a room w/a double bed and a pull down twin bed above the double bed. My children (16 and 25) had their own cabin which was two twin bunk beds, however we survived. The housekeeping was on their game and made sure the room was clean, covers turned back every evening, etc.

We ate at the Rio the first night and the pizza/pasta place the next evening. The food at the Rio was okay, however we preferred the pizza/pasta place. They actually stay open until 2 or 3 a.m. I didn't catch much entertainment the 1st evening but the 2nd evening it was very good. There was a comedian (Steve Zimmerman) who was very funny. After the show there was a DJ that catered to the older people (30+) until around midnight then the music switched up and was catered to the younger crowd in which both my children enjoyed. I think it would have been nice if they had more things to do for the teens, there was a game room but something like a movie theater or something similar.

We chose the Lucaya beach w/lunch excursion which was $49 pp (includes transportation to and from the beach and lunch). The beach was very nice and the lunch was good. There was also a market place (which was over-priced, we found a little shop on the corner that had a lot of the same stuff at a better price). There was also a small casino there for those who want to gamble off the ship.

Disembarkation was took about an hour.

Although we had never been on a cruise before and don't have anything to compare it to, the price was right and we had a great time!! Less

Read more Bahamas Celebration cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Bahamas Celebration Review >>

Cabin review: Bahamas Celebration 3119

Very small room, no window.