Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by magnolia1972: ROUGH FIRST CRUISE BUT I WILL NOT GIVE UP!!

magnolia1972
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Norwegian Spirit Western Caribbean Cruises

ROUGH FIRST CRUISE BUT I WILL NOT GIVE UP!!

Sail Date: February 2010
Embarkation: New Orleans

This was my very first cruise and my husbands 20-something cruise although his first with NCL. I was excited and had done much research beforehand. I know how I can be on rides at theme parks so I had gone to my doctor and got a prescription for the Transderm patch to go behind my ear and keep me from becoming sea sick. I have to tell you, I think this may have made it worse.

We only live 6 hours from NOLA so we left out early Sunday morning and drove down. Check-in was a breeze. Within 45 minutes, we were on board having a light lunch and looking around the ship. Our luggage arrived at our room within 2 hours of boarding.

Before the sail-away party began, we were outside near the pool and I could start to feel sick. I could feel the boat moving before we ever left port. I quickly ran back to our room and applied the patch behind my ear. By the time we set sail, I was still queasy and was unable to eat. I was hoping to feel better by the next morning but that was More not the case. I was sick the whole time I was on the ship and only felt better when in port off the ship.

My husband and I had a balcony room which was kinda small but our kids inside room across the hall seemed larger than ours. Our housekeepers were Judi and Budi. Both were wonderful and extremely friendly. They always greeted us by name.

As for the food, what I did eat was very good. We had dinner at Cagney's restaurant once and Le Bistro once. The food was wonderful and well worth the $25 per person charge. I hate that I wasn't able to eat much or keep much down. I'm not really a breakfast person but my husband and kids enjoyed their breakfasts and lunches in Raffles. My husband and I had dinner at Window's 2-3 times and really enjoyed it. The food on the ship was not bad at all. My kids loved the Blue Lagoon and it was great that it was open 24 hours.

The entertainment was great. The whole family loved Second City and Paul Scally is a great cruise director. I loved the husband and wife acrobats (sorry, I can't remember their names). They are wonderful and move so gracefully.

All in all, this was a good cruise. I just hate that I had motion sickness the whole time. My only complaint is the amount of rocking and swaying the ship did. I had heard but can't confirm that this ship is not equipped with stabilizers. I think this could be the reason for my constant motion sickness. Less

Read more Norwegian Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Spirit Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck Eleven 11032

In Belize, we booked the Altun Ha ruins tour. It was a little over an hour bus ride to and from the ruins. This ride did not help with my nausea but our guide Raul was extremely knowledgeable and very passionate about the history of the Mayan Indians. When we arrived at the site, we stood and listened to Raul talk for another 45 minutes and it only left us about 20 minutes to walk around and take pictures before our bus left. Back in Belize, we (my husband and kids) ate at a restaurant near the water. I sipped on a soda until we boarded our tender back to the ship. It was a nice port and I wouldn't mind going back and walking around town. The people there were very friendly.

The waters around Costa Maya were beautiful. I wish I could say more for this city though. It had severe hurricane damage. We did not book an excursion for this port but when we got off the ship and noticed there was nothing but shopping or drinking to do, we found an excursion. We rode quads (4-wheelers) with a group and a tour guide. He took us around the out skirts of Costa Maya. There was so much devastation, it was easy to see why they had rebuilt the shopping area so quickly. There was nothing else there and with the poverty of Mexico, I can't foresee them rebuilding much there. Toward the end of our tour, we stopped at a roadside beach with hammocks and were given drinks (sodas & bottled water). It was relaxing lying on the beach looking at the cruise ships off in the distance. My kids kayaked while we were there and just enjoyed being at the beach. Looking around I thought to myself how beautiful Costa Maya must have been and how beautiful it could be again if the funds were there for people to rebuild. It was extremely quite and peaceful away from the port area.

(5.5)
Cozumel was our last stop and the one we were most excited to go to. We did not book an excursion for this port so we rented a jeep and went out to explore the island on our own. We drove to the ruins and walked around for a while. If you go to the ruins, please remember to take bug spray. We were offered several can along the way in and my husband always refused. My husband managed to come out without 1 mosquito bite and my kids and I were eaten alive!!

After we left there and got back on the highway, we drove around to the east side of the island. ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!! The water is a little rough on this side of the island but it is beautiful and the beaches are almost empty.

When we returned the jeep, we walked around the shopping mall and a few bars. Everything seemed to be priced just as if we were still in the US so we only bought a couple of t-shirts and got back on the ship.

Read 3083 Cozumel Reviews