Celebrity Century Cruise Review by phillycruiserbear

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Century Cruise Review by phillycruiserbear
Celebrity Century
Celebrity Century
Member Name: phillycruiserbear
Cruise Date: March 2010
Cabin Category: CC
See More About: Celebrity Century Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Fabulous time on the Celebrity Century
There was an episode of Frazier in which Frazier and his brother Niles were talking and Niles was recounting how nice it was to eat at a good restaurant only to look for a flaw that could be further dissected. This was how I felt about our cruise on the Celebrity Century. It was the best cruise ship and line of the three that I had been on. But there were those tiny flaws to be dissected.

Let's start with the great things.

The ship is beautiful. Who could tell it is 15 years old? It is the smallest ship in size I have sailed on, but one of the prettiest. It was like an old time ocean liner. Very classy. I sailed on the Westerdam, some of those rooms jar the senses. I also liked the Andy Warhol witch painting on the wall near a stairway.

I liked the teak deck under the boats. I just wish they had nice teak steamer chairs to sit in there, like they did on the QM2 and the Westerdam, seemed like a waste of space otherwise. It would have been nice to sit there in the day time out of the sunlight and noise of the lido deck and read.

The staff: All the staff were friendly and attentive. In every case when a staff member saw us or passed us in the halls were were greeted every time. This was wonderful.

The dinning room waiter and assistant waiter were wonderful too. Both took great care of everyone at our table. We had a great table. We ate at the first seating and were right next to the captain's table next to the big window at the end of the dinning room. Since it was still light out, we could see over the stern of the ship and look at the wake. Very cool. On the first or second night the Maitre De and assistant came to the table to make sure we were happy and offered to assist us in any way. I had sailed previously with HAL, on a large group cruise. We had 200 people in the group and had open seating within our group, so we never got the same waiter twice. On Cunard, on the QM2 on a 4 day President's weekend cruise, no one other than our waiter and assistant bothered with us at all. On the Celebrity, the Maitre De also brought the chef to our table one night to meet us. The wine waiter was very knowledgeable and knew what wines to pair our meal with.

The day we had our Tulum excursion, we would have missed our seating. I saw the assistant Maitre De as we were leaving the night previous and explained our situation. He told us not to worry that he would have a table ready for us at the later seating. When we got back from our trip to Tulum, we found a Mexican/Cuban buffet set up on the lido deck. So we opted to eat there rather than rush to bathe/dress and sit in the dinning room. The next night the Assistant Maitre De came to us and let us know that he had not forgotten our request and said he had saved us a table. We felt a little bad, but I explained that we wanted to eat at our leisure after being out in the sun all day and being tired.

The food was was tasty and very prettily presented. The deserts were very tasty in both the dinning room and the buffet.

The buffet restaurant was very nice too. I like everything I tried, pretty much. I also liked the pool side hot dog and hamburgers.

We tried the buffet for breakfast on two mornings, dinning room one morning and room service one morning. The dinning room was pretty good, except my pancakes were tiny. I think they were not freshly made but frozen ones. The morning we got room service something weird happened. I love V-8 juice and drink it every day. I always get it on request from a steward at the buffet or in the dinning room. For room service it arrived and looked a little odd. Usually the tomato part sinks and the watery part is closer to the top if it is sitting around a while. I stirred it to mix it up and the V-8 bubbled. It was bizarre. When I tasted it that was even more bizarre. It tasted carbonated No need to say it I didn't drink V-8 that morning.

The ship as a whole was very clean. The crew was always wiping the handrails etc.

The shows were great. One of the women singers was a bit off key though hitting some notes. I liked the Broadway show especially the stuff from Cabaret and Hairspray. The comedian booked on the ship was very funny. The theater was great, nice tables to put your drinks on while watching the show and no pillars to obstruct the view.

Lisa the cruise director can sing. That woman can belt out a tune! Very good cruise director.

Cabin: see section below

One major complaint. This one upset me a bit. One night I decided to go to the Crystal Room to hear the orchestra play big band sounds. There were only 9 tables with passengers at them in the whole room. I sat and waited for the only waiter in the room who was working to make a move to offer me a cocktail. I waited a half an hour and he never came. There was also a table with 3 women who came in shortly after I did and they did not get waited on either. We all left together wondering what was going on. The waiter was hanging out with the bartender at the bar and didn't seem interested in serving me or the other people who had arrived. I mean, it wasn't like the room was full. That is the only complaint against any staff member I can make.

Why is the internet so slow. I didn't use it, but my other half did. He said it cost him $4 or $ 5 dollars to get online to down load his e-mail because the connection in our cabin was so slow. This is unacceptable. If they can get a TV signal, they should be able to get a reliable internet connection, especially since it is at a very very premium price per minute.

The cruise was too short for Celebrity to arrange a Cruise Critic meet and mingle, but we all who chatted on the roll call prior to boarding did do our own meet and mingle at sail away at the sunset bar. Nice to meet all the peeps.

I hear the Equinox is a great ship. I hope to sail on Celebrity again. I loved it. I hope to do one of each sometime. One time on a ship in the Summit class ships and one time on the Solstice/Equinox class ship.

Publication Date: 04/14/10