Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by binghaja

Member Name: binghaja
Cruise Date: April 2010
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
See More About: Sapphire Princess Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Public Rooms Not Rated
        7-9 3.0

Single parent cruise
Second cruise on princess; I think this trip reminded me of why I may not be a princess person. I am fit, fun, and my 8 year old son and I love adventerous and active vacations.

Kids Programs: The kids programs are too childish, and at least for my son, not appealing. The Easter celebration was just sad - very little candy, a big pelican suit dancing around to very loud music, and an endless line for the only ativity the kids seemed interested in - balloon shapes.

The kids club needs more up tp date video games (nintendo is what all the kids play now), and more fun activities. Making books only lasts so long! Both times on princess, my son's begged me not to leave him there. I did love that they gave us the option of signing himself out - which was great so he had flexibility to find entertainment for himself if I was at the gym, or getting a massage.

Food: The main dining rooms are great. We loved our waiter, and the food was very good at night. Horizon (the buffet) is not well run. Way, way too crowded, and the staff's only focus is to clear your food, usually while you are up getting the drinks that the wait staff can't seem to bring your way. Coffee on the ship is almost undrinkable, and half the time, the dispensers in Horizon spit out water instead of coffee and iced tea.

Activities: The scolarsea program, the shopping and so many other activities are just not appealing. The only entertainment I really looked forward to our enjoyed was the comedy. The library hours are a joke too - like two hours a day, which was a bummer if you needed a book. The smoke in the casino was horrid - they really need to cut back and make more days nonsmoking. The smell was everywhere.

Gym: Way too small and crowded for my taste. Many times all the machines were taken, and 10 spaces in a spin class with 2000 people on board is just silly.

Tours: Stone Island was not worth the money - too rough to swim, but could be great if you go for the horses or ATVs. For beach, swimming, it was not the best. We LOVED las calletes. By far the best day of the trip. It was just beautiful, and my son and I both had a blast. Worth every penny. Especially with the open bar. Cabo was beautiful, I wish I had gotten up earlier, so we could have spent the day on one of the beautiful beaches. No need to pay for a tour here, just take a water taxi to the beach. Ourt cabin steward was wonderful. Overall, the staff were so friendly and nice, and made the trip worthwhile. But next time we'll find a cruise better for kids.

Publication Date: 04/13/10