Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by music&cruises: Like a 2nd Honeymoon!

music&cruises
0 Post

Compare Prices on Celebrity Millennium Southern Caribbean Cruises

Like a 2nd Honeymoon!

Sail Date: March 2010
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

Against so many people's advice, we flew to & from San Juan on the day of embarkation & disembarkation. This went seamlessly! Embarkation & disembarkation were both so speedy and easy. We purchased transfers for the first time, and that mostly went well. Finding the transfers was a little challenging when we arrived in San Juan initially, then it was very challenging when getting off of the boat at the end of the trip. You had to walk through a whole bunch of people to find the transfers--there weren't any signs directing you where to go so you were just blindly looking for anything related to transfers. Oh well, it all worked out okay. Our luggage went on a separate truck when we arrived around 330pm, then it didn't show up at our room until 815pm (15 minutes before we left port!). We weren't too thrilled with the wait for luggage, but at least it did show up.

We thought the service was wonderful. Our cabin attendant especially did a great job! My husband More surprised me with an upgrade to Concierge Class, and I really liked that. No surprise! The extra space in the cabin from the regular outside veranda cabins was nice, and the extra little touches like fresh flowers & fruit, appetizers at 3pm, nicer towels & toiletry products, were all very nice.

7 ports and 2 sea days is very tiring. It was very fun to see all of the ports, but if you really like sea days, this may not be the best itinerary for you. By the 5th day in a row of ports, no one wanted to get out of bed! We loved seeing all the ports though and would do it again since we pick our cruises mostly for the ports. It was a wonderful mix of ports.

The ship was nice. It wasn't amazing or anything, but it was nice. I had expected a little more grandeur from the Grand Staircase & the glass elevators they way they promote them, but I just didn't find that they were all that amazing. Still, it was a very pretty ship, and I enjoyed all of the artwork around. My favorite part of Millenium is The Conservatory. What a beautiful place, and it's so unlike any other ship I've been on. It was a real highlight! I also liked the cinema on board for watching movies.

As far as entertainment, the Celebrity Dancers, Singers & Orchestra were wonderful! We went to the main show every night except 1, and I enjoyed all of them. I find that even if it's not really "my thing" that I always learn & end up enjoying what's provided. The 1 night I missed was the magician, and everyone was complaining about that night. The other entertainment on board seemed not quite as good as other cruises to me.

The dining was good. We had a wonderful Easter brunch on Sunday! They had ice sculptures of bunnies, chickens, etc., and melon carvings of bunnies, baskets, etc. I really appreciated that they had Palm Sunday & Easter worship services on board. They even had the Easter Bunny come for the children & do an egg hunt! I had thought they'd skip right over Easter like it didn't exist, so I appreciated that they recognized that it's an important holiday to some of us & planned accordingly. Back to the food...the food in the evening was rather limited in my opinion. Most other ships I've been on have much more choice at night. This was "eat in the main dining room" or your choice upstairs of pizza, pasta, sushi or stir-fry. That was fine for a night, but if you like eating casual often, you'd be pretty tired of it after a few nights.

We really enjoyed the mix of people on this ship. There were lots of northern USA-ers, as well as folks from Europe and Canada. We're from Texas, and we only met 4 other Southerners. It made for interesting people to talk with no matter where you were, and everyone was very friendly.

We thoroughly enjoyed this cruise, and we would highly recommend it! Less

Read more Celebrity Millennium cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Millennium Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Millennium 8058

The cabin was very nice. I heard a lot of noises every day starting about 6am and even one night about 11PM that I would describe as "banging kitchen pots & pans". I never figured out what it was, but it was mildly annoying. Other than that, it was a wonderful cabin. Since there aren't any inside cabin doors on this side of the ship, it made for very light traffic & people noise down this hall. Larger shower than the last several cruises I've been on.

We used Silver Moon for our snorkel with the sea turtles & catamaran trip. It was as wonderful as everyone said! Snorkeling with the turtles was great. We really liked that they actually SAILED both going & coming rather than using the motor like many other tour operators. The food was delicious. At the end we had the chance to swim to the beach if desired. The beach was wonderful with gorgeous golden sand & clear water, and all the beaches up & down the coast that we passed looked wonderful. There's a reason they call it the Gold Coast!

Read 703 Barbados Reviews

We were not expecting to like Curacao much since it's flat & dry, and again, we were very pleasantly surprised. We spent most of the day at Cabana Beach. It was okay--not our favorite due to feeling very congested, but the snorkeling outside the sea wall was terrific. The 3 men in our group said it was like being in an aquarium! After the beach, we were ready to get back on the ship, but our friends wouldn't let us until we'd gone downtown. What a highlight! We loved downtown with the shopping in the fort, the floating bridge, and the shops across it. They were just adorable, brightly colored shops, and nothing like we'd seen anywhere else.

We had a 7th port in Aruba. We used the ship's excursion to go out on a catamaran for snorkeling. The snorkeling was very nice--calm water, clear, no breaking waves near a sea wall! Snorkeling over the Antilles wreck was okay but no one really stayed in too long. The water here was amazingly blue & clear! We were disappointed they didn't really SAIL. They put up the jib but still dieseled, so it's just not the same. It was a half-day tour, so afterwards we took a van ($3/person each way) to Palm Beach. Palm Beach was beautiful but I was disappointed that the water was very cloudy & not like the clear water we'd snorkeled in earlier that morning. I guess all the boats going in & out keep it stirred up.

Read 502 Curacao Reviews

We were so pleasantly surprised with Grenada. We loved Grenada! We took an island tour here with Mandoo Tours, and we enjoyed it thoroughly. He told you enough to keep it interesting, yet kept the tour moving along so you got to see everything in the time frame allotted. Learning about the spices was so interesting. We liked that it was a half-day tour, so we still had time to take the water taxi to & from Grand Anse Beach for the other half-day. The water taxi was $8/person round trip & took about 15 minutes. Grand Anse was wonderful--beautiful sand & clear water.

Read 356 Grenada Reviews

St Lucia is why I had booked this trip, and I was really looking forward to this day. We pre-booked a tour with Spencer Ambrose Tours and had has brother Small for a tour guide. It was a very nice tour and we felt like we really saw the western side of the island. The highlight was ending at Jalousie Beach and getting to swim & snorkel between the Pitons. Unfortunately there was the long drive back to the port afterwards, but Jalousie Beach was definitely nice. It doesn't have the best sand, but the surroundings make up for it. We talked with several people who took a similar tour but without Jalousie Beach, and we were much happier with our day than they were.

This was our least favorite day, but it was probably because we ended up taking an island tour and felt like we spent most of the day in the back of a van. We did not arrange this before we left home--we just found some other cruisers that wanted to go together when we got off the ship. We paid $25/person for a group of 8. I didn't really see any big difference between the Dutch & the French sides of the island which was really what I wanted to see. In hindsight, I wish I'd just gone shopping on the cute little streets downtown Dutch side then hit the beach right next to it.

(5.5)
We got off the ship and immediately into a van to go to Cane Garden Bay to the beach. We had to wait a few minutes to get the van full of people, but for $6 per person, it was definitely worth it. Great beach--wonderful crescent with green lush hillsides around, clear water, beautiful sand, etc. There were lots of people there, but yet somehow it didn't feel crowded. $10 to rent 2 beach chairs. Nice shop & restaurant. This beach was my favorite of the cruise! We did stop to look over at Brewer's Bay beach, and we had friends who went there that raved about it. I think next time I'll try it since it looked just as beautiful but not as crowded.

Read 501 Tortola Reviews